Has the recent Rapha sale been the best one in living memory?

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,870
edited February 2018 in Road buying advice
Just curious what people think - I hadn't bought a massive amount of Rapha stuff in previous years, few bits here and there, but there seemed to be a lot more sizable reductions from original prices this year AND critically a lot more sizes and sheer quantity of pieces in stock - so that you did not look one second, browse for something else, and then come back to find it was no longer in stock, which happened to me several times in previous years.
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Wasn't aware it was on - obviously not on their mailing list. Not that I have any Rapha......
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    The only thing that irks me about the Rapha sale is they wait a week or so, then reduce the prices further - so if you see something reduced 30% and buy it, you might find the same thing reduced 40% a week later.

Nothing to stop you getting it again and sending back the original purchase I suppose, but I'd rather not have to.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    I have more than enough gear, including Rapha.
    I can resist.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • PT bibs for £72 and then take off a 15% subscriber discount - it was a no brainer.
  • jimmurray
    jimmurray Posts: 130
    >> Nothing to stop you getting it again and sending back the original purchase I suppose, but I'd rather not have to.

If they still have your size in stock you can email support and they will send you a voucher code for the difference in price/s.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I kept looking just to test my resolve. I'm not their key demographic, but I'd buy some of their kit at a discount; it is generally well thought out / constructed.

Seemed to have a lot more stuff at decent discounts and in lots of sizes this time.

Didn't give in. I've reached the point where I have enough decent gear for my modest requirements, and more would have been just daft.

Glad those that did got some bargains!
  • No reason now for all those scruffy british mamils with terrible mis-matching kit to be seen anymore
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • daniel_b
    PT bibs for £72 and then take off a 15% subscriber discount - it was a no brainer.

Agreed that would be a tricky one not to justify - assuming one is in the market.

I myself didn't get one of those, but did order a city rain jacket for £75 instead of £240, and some thermal bibs for £99 instead of £195 - would never have paid the original prices.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Daniel B wrote:
    PT bibs for £72 and then take off a 15% subscriber discount - it was a no brainer.

Agreed that would be a tricky one not to justify - assuming one is in the market.

I myself didn't get one of those, but did order a city rain jacket for £75 instead of £240, and some thermal bibs for £99 instead of £195 - would never have paid the original prices.

That's the same price they had them for in the sale two years ago though and that was before they released the PT2 so kind of expected a bigger discount now.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I thought they would discount everything ......:(
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    Just got a Pro Team Shadow jersey for £74.80 down from £220... It’s a medium and will probably be too small, but was the last item in stock, so just had to...

Classic bibs were a standout item to me for price, as well as some base layers I got for 50% off.

Tired to steer clear of the sale since I have so much kit still with tags on, but I still rate Rapha as one of the best kit manufacturers, along with Castelli, Maap and Assos.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • daniel_b
    Ryan_W wrote:
    Just got a Pro Team Shadow jersey for £74.80 down from £220... It’s a medium and will probably be too small, but was the last item in stock, so just had to...

What colour was it out of interest?
    Just the all black?

I tried to steer clear too, but Matt_N directed me towards it.......... :lol:

He saved me a lot of money.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    No reason now for all those scruffy british mamils with terrible mis-matching kit to be seen anymore
    :oops: sorry, didn't get the memo.
  • daniel_b
    edited January 2018
    Just tried\ordered some of their 'Indigo Denim' relaxed fit jean type thingamies - any good?

£51 a pop, so in the quality jean price territory I would assume - just for casual use.
    Colour fastness, shrinkage after washing etc etc?

The reviews on the site seem to suggest they are pretty ok.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • mr_mojo
    mr_mojo Posts: 200
    Didn't realise it was on.

I used to buy all my kit from Rapha but severely fell out of love with the brand. Quality gone down, prices gone up and now hate the whole marketing thing they have going.
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Beware Shadow range, the fit is reported to be weird compared to normal Pro Team pieces. So the medium might actually fit you in the end.
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    I thought the sale was excellent this year. Sales are the only time I buy Rapha, I couldn’t resist the PT rain gilet, a flyweight Jersey and some crochet gloves. With the extra 15% discount the total was just over £120.
  • Daniel B wrote:
    Just tried\ordered some of their 'Indigo Denim' relaxed fit jean type thingamies - any good?

£51 a pop, so in the quality jean price territory I would assume - just for casual use.

I've had the indigo denim jeans for around 18 months and my hands still turn blue as well as some of my t-shirts / jerseys that I've had on.........apart from that they are a good pair of jeans........not in the same league as my Paul Smith ones though!
  • daniel_b
    AberdeenAl wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:

I've had the indigo denim jeans for around 18 months and my hands still turn blue as well as some of my t-shirts / jerseys that I've had on.........apart from that they are a good pair of jeans........not in the same league as my Paul Smith ones though!

Blimey, I saw a review about the colour running, but assumed 2-3 washes down the line that would cease....... :shock:
    Not sure I fancy that liability.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    Another Essentials tee, Pro Team base layer and Shadow Jersey shipped..... Think it’s neen a pretty successful sale.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • Daniel B wrote:
    AberdeenAl wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:

Blimey, I saw a review about the colour running, but assumed 2-3 washes down the line that would cease....... :shock:
    Not sure I fancy that liability.

Hee hee, does this not make us realise how daft we are believing hype from cycling brands. These are just jeans, they should be at least as good as a pair of £30 M&S ones.

I remember looking at a "normal" casual T-shirt from Assos and it was a small fortune but had 3 pages of technical nonsense about why it was worth so much. It was just a cotton T-shirt. Made me think (for a very short while anyway.....).
  • daniel_b
    edited January 2018
    Aha, well I'm not sucked in by the hype, and read precious little of it tbh. Cycling is my predominant hobby, so if I can buy casual clothing that has some kind of cycling link, then I will!

Two of my fave jeans are Endura ones, that were £80 down to £40, with the added unexpected bonus that they were made in Mauritius - I wore one pair back there this year!
    I also have a pair of Sombrio jeans which are beautifully detailed, quality material, but were only £27. In some form of contrast, i'm underwhelmed by a pair of Vulpine jeans, that I had high expectations of. £150.... down to £50.

So am happy to buy as above, but not if the upkeep is more work than a standard equivalent garment, which it seems like the Rapha ones may be.

I also have a raft of Cycology short and long sleeve T's.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    i've been a fanboy since their beginning and now they're a client, what can i say :-)
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    Is the Rapha winter hat any good? I have the wool Condor version but the Rapha one does look better.
  • pblakeney
    Not so good. Finally something is available at the right price, and I go to buy. Website crashes, and now the item is full price. Back to not interested.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • itboffin
    solboy10 wrote:
    Is the Rapha winter hat any good? I have the wool Condor version but the Rapha one does look better.

yes very good i had one but lost it somehow :evil:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Not so good. Finally something is available at the right price, and I go to buy. Website crashes, and now the item is full price. Back to not interested.

when was that?
  • pblakeney
    itboffin wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:

when was that?
    Around 10:00. Brevet insulated gilet in black was 60% off down to £52, now £130.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    Some good discounts, 15% off and free p&p. Sh1t yes.
  • gbr236
    gbr236 Posts: 393
    How do you get the 15%?