RS685 Rattle :(

Scoob84
Scoob84 Posts: 76
edited January 2018 in Workshop
The silver bit between the leaver and hood on my RS685 shifters has somehow come loose and is rattling about. Has anyone else encountered this on either this type of shifter, or any other shimano shifter? Its well annoying, especially as its on my best bike which I've barely had it a year.

I've had a quick look and the thing has somehow come loose, but its still inside the shifter so shouldn't fall out. It doesn't appear to serve any purpose other than aesthetics. I've played with it a bit to try and clip in back in but no luck yet (but i haven't exhausted this avenue yet). My next port of call is to use some bathroom silicone sealant to glue it back, but i want to do this as a last resort.

https://dbyvw4eroffpi.cloudfront.net/pr ... s-pair.jpg

Comments

• pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    If you pull back the rubber grip from the silver face plate you will find the attachment screw. It is either loose or the plate may be damaged, or you may find it is not that that is rattling! Take a look in the dealer manual here http://si.shimano.com/pdfs/dm/DM-BR0008-08-ENG.pdf#page69 which shows you.Page 69 gives details of ‘replacing the nameplate’. :wink:

PP

Oh and p.s. no need to bodge the repair, just get onto a Shimano dealer who can order replacement parts. Having said that I replaced the two silver covers on my ST-RS785 levers which were crash damaged and they cost me £25 for two bits of moulded plastic! And that was mates rates.... :|
  • Scoob84
    I knew it would be worthwhile asking here, Thanks Pete! I'll be checking this out tonight.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    Oh and p.s. no need to bodge the repair, just get onto a Shimano dealer who can order replacement parts. Having said that I replaced the two silver covers on my ST-RS785 levers which were crash damaged and they cost me £25 for two bits of moulded plastic! And that was mates rates.... :|

^this. It's really frustrating having to pay the exorbitant costs of these. Chrome covered plastic DA ones are £25 each FFS!
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • noodleman
    noodleman Posts: 852
    I had to order some new ones after a crash a didn't bother putting the little Allen bolts in. They fit so securely that I didn't need them. No rattling on either lever so maybe your rattling is coming from somewhere else.
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • Scoob84
    Its definitely the silver plastic bit on my shifters, i can jiggle it about with my fingers. Hopefully i can avoid forking out for a replacement one.
  • Scoob84
    For avoidance of any doubt, i'm talking about one of these.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gear-spares ... y07v98020/
  • pilot_pete
    Bargain...snap em up! (Well don’t, as they’d be useless then, but you get what I mean! :mrgreen: )

I suspect the most likely issue is that your current one is cracked, or simply that you have a screw loose :!:

Do check that the thread is not stripped (as it is a possibility I suppose) before spending out as the plastic cover may be ok and it could just be the screw.

PP
  • Scoob84
    Thanks everyone for your posts. Turns out the screw holding the name plate had just come loose. I was flummoxed at first because i couldn't find it after lifting the hood cover, turns out you need to pull the lever right in to expose the screw.

Should have figured this out first before panicking and posting on here. I guess you live and learn.
  • pilot_pete
    Maybe a drop of blue loctite if it comes loose again...

PP