Sealant

davidradar
davidradar Posts: 69
edited February 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
Is there anything I could put on the inside of my tire to enable latex sealant to last longer and be removed easier? Has anyone tried this in the past? We all know removing the old glob is a PITA. I'd like to hear from chemical engineers or the like if there are any on here. I was thinking maybe something like a silicone spray that is quite slippery but I don't know how it would react with the latex, this would only take a second to apply. Plus modern tire are made with silicone. I would be interested to hear if anyone has primed a tire like this in the past. I could always test this myself but it is time consuming and easier to ask. Oh and if you think it is a waste of time I am obviously not looking for your opinion.
Stay positive people :)

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Change the sealant before it becomes a chunk. It's not going to work by then anyway.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    The sealant will last as long as it lasts - its longevity is based on a number of factors such as temperature, total volume, punctures already sealed and how old it is.
    Just use a large syringe to remove sealant from a tyre and then use a rag or paper towel to wipe the inside of the tyre. It only takes a few seconds.

I think you may be looking for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    I have heard uberbike tyre matrix is easier to clean as its not latex based but not used it so cant confirm it.

anyone used the tyre matrix stuff?
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    JBA wrote:
    then use a rag or paper towel to wipe the inside of the tyre. It only takes a few seconds.

Except that every tyre I have seen that has sealant always has a film of it stuck to the inside of the tyre, only way I have found to remove it is to rub it off with finger tips, takes a while and leaves sore tips so best spread the task over a couple of days.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Why rub it off? Just leave it there.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    JBA wrote:
    Why rub it off? Just leave it there.

I am a devotee to the weight weenie religion, I could not ride my bike knowing there was 30g unnecessary weight.
  • Thanks for the replies everyone. Think I will just have to man up and remove the old stuff, it is a job I hate and haven't done on this tire for some years. I have just topped it up over about three years. Will let you know how it all goes.
    Stay positive people :)
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    DavidRadar wrote:
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Think I will just have to man up and remove the old stuff, it is a job I hate and haven't done on this tire for some years. I have just topped it up over about three years. Will let you know how it all goes.

It might be easy for you it could have balled up inside the tyre.