spectating at Zoncolan stage of Giro

fignonarmy
fignonarmy Posts: 3
edited January 2018 in Pro race
Hi

Looking for some advice if possible. I've booked up to take my son to spectate at the Zoncolan stage of the giro in May. We haven't booked accommodation, and unsurprisingly, the accommodation in Ovaro looks sold out. I've never been to a mountain stage at a grand tour, so I'm not sure of the protocol here. Is there park and rides organised, or is it very much a free for all to get up the mountain? Trying to get an idea of how close we should try and get to Ovaro, or whether we can simply drive to the town and dump the car at a car park and walk up? any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Never done the Giro, but experience of watching the TdF & the Vuelta suggests that the road up the Zoncolan plus the roads immediately approaching it will be shut to traffic in the early / mid morning, and I can't imagine there'll be a park & ride. It's just a free-for-all to go up the mountain on bikes / foot.

A bit of internet research, or failing that, the hotel reception should be able to tell you the details of the road closures, so you can plan to get as close as possible by car.

You'll probably be up the mountain for quite a while, and given this is the Giro, you're going to be cold, so take plenty of layers.
  • Park and ride? Definitely not : )

You find somewhere to park in the town and walk (or ride) as far as you can get up the mountain

When I was on the Zoncolan for the 2014 Giro we parked our minibus a few mins from the centre of Ovaro. Can't remember what time we parked up but between 10 and 11 I'd think. Walking up the mountain, your first stop will be Liariis where there are bars and a cafe
  • thanks for the responses