bike insurance

shiznit76
shiznit76 Posts: 640
edited January 2018 in Road general
Hi,can you get bike insurance to cover you for damage caused by crashing your steed? I know can get it fr theft and third party cover, but would like to cover for any damage to my bike caused by crashing , touch wood,not that i would want this to happen

Comments

• shiznit76 wrote:
    Hi,can you get bike insurance to cover you for damage caused by crashing your steed? I know can get it fr theft and third party cover, but would like to cover for any damage to my bike caused by crashing , touch wood,not that i would want this to happen

Yes, I recommend buying a British Cycling membership and you get discount on many providers as well as legal advice.

I’m with velosure myself. Had a collision over a year ago , I had bike valuated for damage and replacement/repair cost from an LBS and since they decided it was a write off due to carbon damage I got £3000 payout (less excess of £200) to buy a new bike. Also lawyers helping claim costs back (NWNF) so minimum I’ll get premium dropped back down
  • shiznit76
    shiznit76 wrote:

Yes, I recommend buying a British Cycling membership and you get discount on many providers as well as legal advice.

I’m with velosure myself. Had a collision over a year ago , I had bike valuated for damage and replacement/repair cost from an LBS and since they decided it was a write off due to carbon damage I got £3000 payout (less excess of £200) to buy a new bike. Also lawyers helping claim costs back (NWNF) so minimum I’ll get premium dropped back down

Good to know, i am a member of BC. How much do you pay? It is like car insurance and build up no claim discount?
  • shiznit76 wrote:
    shiznit76 wrote:

Good to know, i am a member of BC. How much do you pay? It is like car insurance and build up no claim discount?

I pay around £35 a month for £7000 cover in house (3 bikes)or £ 3500 on road. It’s difficult to equate it to others as so have the extra security of living on a military base which brings cost down a bit but also because of my previous claim they went up slightly ( which hopefully will reduce if I win liability case)

Costs cover bike, clothes, shoes, helmet, ancils ie Garmin etc
  • dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    I pay about £35 a month for full cover on £4500 worth off bikes which includes £750 a week loss of earnings cover. That's the most important bit to me (and also the most costly).
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,831
    I’d recommend pedal cover. They provide cover for bikes covered under the home insurance. Also covered for accident damage when riding and they’ll cover you for anything but a mass start race. So you’re covered in sportives and TT’s.

They were by far the cheapest when I looked. Can’t remember exactly how much I pay but i think it’s about £250 for the year. That includes all the house insurance and all my bikes, turbo, wheels, clothing etc etc.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • shiznit76
    rozzer32 wrote:
    I’d recommend pedal cover. They provide cover for bikes covered under the home insurance. Also covered for accident damage when riding and they’ll cover you for anything but a mass start race. So you’re covered in sportives and TT’s.

They were by far the cheapest when I looked. Can’t remember exactly how much I pay but i think it’s about £250 for the year. That includes all the house insurance and all my bikes, turbo, wheels, clothing etc etc.

They do your house insurance and your bikes including accidental damage?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,790
    shiznit76 wrote:
    rozzer32 wrote:

Yup! From their website -

In addition to covering your home for building and contents, we also provide the following additional benefits designed to suit the needs of triathletes and cyclists:

Cover for ALL of your bikes
    Full crash damage to your bikes worldwide
    Cover for when competing in time trials, triathlons, Enduro XC, sportives
    £2 million or £5 million public liability in the UK
    Cover for all your kit such as helmets, shoes, sunglasses, clothing from Castelli, Rapha, Pactimo etc
    Cover for all your accessories such as Garmin watches, phones, jewellery etc
    Cover if your bike or bike box are damaged on a plane
    Cover in transition
    New for old cover.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • shiznit76
    PBlakeney wrote:
    shiznit76 wrote:
    rozzer32 wrote:

Yup! From their website -

In addition to covering your home for building and contents, we also provide the following additional benefits designed to suit the needs of triathletes and cyclists:

Cover for ALL of your bikes
    Full crash damage to your bikes worldwide
    Cover for when competing in time trials, triathlons, Enduro XC, sportives
    £2 million or £5 million public liability in the UK
    Cover for all your kit such as helmets, shoes, sunglasses, clothing from Castelli, Rapha, Pactimo etc
    Cover for all your accessories such as Garmin watches, phones, jewellery etc
    Cover if your bike or bike box are damaged on a plane
    Cover in transition
    New for old cover.

cheers buddy, that's excellent info
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,831
    shiznit76 wrote:
    rozzer32 wrote:

Yes! I’ve never had to make a claim (touch wood) but I had a few questions and gave them a ring and they were nothing but helpful. Would recommend to anyone.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****