Is this beyond fixing? And if so, should I be looking for a free replacement from my LBS?

rowanharley
rowanharley Posts: 76
edited January 2018 in Workshop
Images: https://imgur.com/a/wwSaOOk, so I'll give you some background to how this happened. I brought my new bike out for it's second ride. I'd had problems with the chain and clips on my first ride but this ride felt fine! But halfway through the ride, I noticed that my right foot felt weird while I pedaled. That's when I noticed that somehow, my pedal had managed to unscrew itself. I've tryed screwing it back in but it just won't get in. So should I go to my LBS, asking for a new crank or do I need to buy it myself? I hadn't set the bike up myself and the person who sold me the bike said it was "race ready".

Comments

• crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    I would say that would be the bike shops responsibility as it wasn't setup properly. If that had happened 2 yrs after the purchase it would be different but the second ride it was most likely not tightened properly and their responsibility or could just be a faulty part. First thing though is to nicely tell the shop what happened and go from there. They may just be very apologetic and fix it in short order. Don't try to fix it yourself or they can claim it was your fault. Let us know what happens.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Are you sure it won't go in ? Line it up carefully and turn it anticlockwise to locate the start of the thread and then turn clockwise.

It's possible you've damaged the threads - the shop must have barely screwed the pedal in - it doesn't have to be massively tight
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,328
    Don’t touch it, back to the shop and see what they say. Down to them imo.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The technical term for that is is rather borked.

Stripped in laymen's terms.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Did you put the pedals on or the shop?

Whoever did have cross thread them and therefore is responsible.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    redvision wrote:
    Did you put the pedals on or the shop?

Whoever did have cross thread them and therefore is responsible.

This.

If was old, helocoil it, as it’s new back to the shop and have a word with them.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    helicoil
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,328
    Moonbiker wrote:
    helicoil
    Normally I would agree. But it’s brand new and if the shop fitted the pedals they should replace it.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Moonbiker wrote:
    helicoil

Great idea. Smitty was right.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    If the shop fitted the pedals then it is their problem and I would insist on a new crank, not a repair. If they didn’t fit the pedals and someone else did (you, or a mate for example) then it is your responsibility and you can decide on helicoil repair or new crank at your expense.

PP