Turbo wheel

The bike i use on my turbo trainer i have had to sell. And im left with the option of changing the tyre every time i use the trainer or go out. The other option is to buy a new wheel, and the cheapst set up i can find is a ten speed. My current ultagra system is an eleven speed. I was wondering if using this wheel on the trainer with my groupset would cause problems?

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Does the turbo destroy tyres ? A bit of wear may be cheaper than a whole new wheel.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    ive put a Mavic Aksium (disc ) with an 11/28 (105 ) cassette and a Vittorio Zaffiro trainer tyre
  • ive put a Mavic Aksium (disc ) with an 11/28 (105 ) cassette and a Vittorio Zaffiro trainer tyre
    I want know if the change in cassette will be a problem to the set up i have
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Personally I would just get a cheap 11spd set, if you have to save for another month so be it. Alternatively go 2nd hand. You want the minimum amount of faff, 10 spd wheel on 11spd setup will not run smoothly IME. Buy cheap by twice etc.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    ive put a Mavic Aksium (disc ) with an 11/28 (105 ) cassette and a Vittorio Zaffiro trainer tyre
    I want know if the change in cassette will be a problem to the set up i have

The 11/28 cassette seems better ratios on the turbo.

Definitely use a turbo trainer specific tyre as a normal road tyre will wear out much quicker and you end up with rubber particles everywhere ( and the wife pays hell when there is black specs all over the floor ! )

Done about 500 miles so far on the trainer and not had any problems with tyre/cassette or wheel..

Turbo trainer on the other hand - yes ---- had to exchange a faulty Vortex after 1 week as the brake was sticking on even after the firmware update..
  • Sell turbo, buy rollers. Problem solved