Speedplay Rusting

jpower
jpower Posts: 554
edited January 2018 in Workshop
Hi,

Was wondering if there anyway to cleanup the rusting on my speedplay pedals? Also is this just surface type damage or could this lead to failure? Pic attached:

IMG_9829.jpg

Comments

• i.bhamra
    i.bhamra Posts: 304
    I would lightly sand the surface if you were worried, I'm guessing it's just surface corrosion but that will show you. Would probably need to repaint then to avoid further accelerated corrosion (or at least keep them oiled and regularly clean them).

Worst case you can get replacement spindles.
  • jpower
    Do you think this could have been avoided if I had ensure after a ride that I wipe them down and make sure they are dry?

What kind of oil?
  • I would just take an old rag, soak some oil into it (wet lube chain oil would be OK) and rub the surface. This should give you a better idea of how bad it is and also prevent further corrosion. If it looks bad still then you'll have to sand down and repaint, which would be a pain.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Same's happening on some of my Shimano SPDs. Just the spindle so I'm not too fussed. Might give them a rub down and paint in the summer if I get a mo.
  • trivial_poursuivant
    trivial_poursuivant Posts: 1,136
    edited January 2018
    Speedplay require maintenance from time to time. If the heads spin freely on the spindle they need a regrease. They are easy to take apart - undo little cross head screw, under black cap is an allan key bolt that hold pedal together. While regreasing, I usually clean up the spindles and wire brush before respraying. Last time I got cheap car paint to do it. Lasted for about 6 months which is plenty for the winter months.
  • i.bhamra
    jpower wrote:
    Do you think this could have been avoided if I had ensure after a ride that I wipe them down and make sure they are dry?

What kind of oil?

Probably, I've had speedplay zero CroMo like yours on my winter bike for the last 3 years with no sign of any corrosion, I'm not obsessive about cleaning but the bike dose get cleaned regularly. I've probably replaced the grease in the speedplays once in about 10,000 miles.

Any light oil will help, even a bit of chain lube on a rag. I generally just dry with a cloth after washing, spay with a bit of GT-85 or something similar and wipe off excess.
  • i.bhamra wrote:
    jpower wrote:

What kind of oil?

Probably, I've had speedplay zero CroMo like yours on my winter bike for the last 3 years with no sign of any corrosion, I'm not obsessive about cleaning but the bike dose get cleaned regularly. I've probably replaced the grease in the speedplays once in about 10,000 miles.

Any light oil will help, even a bit of chain lube on a rag. I generally just dry with a cloth after washing, spay with a bit of GT-85 or something similar and wipe off excess.

As much as you say you haven’t had problems, and I hope you continue not to, I wouldn’t recommend using oil on the spindles as the rubber seal just inside the head can get warped by oil. If this happens it can lead to damage inside the pedal itself. I would just make sure you wash and dry them sufficiently after use to remove salt.
  • i.bhamra
    As much as you say you haven’t had problems, and I hope you continue not to, I wouldn’t recommend using oil on the spindles as the rubber seal just inside the head can get warped by oil. If this happens it can lead to damage inside the pedal itself. I would just make sure you wash and dry them sufficiently after use to remove salt.

Fair point but the O-ring ends up fairly well covered in grease and you only need to apply a small amount of light oil on a rag to the spindle so I'm not too worried about this.
  • jpower
    So used bit of lube and gave it a wipe down, its all just surface corrosion. I think I'll make to clean and dry so it doesn't get any worse. I was actually asking as needed to buy another set of pedals for n+1 and wanted to know how to keep them from getting into this state. Thanks all.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Not to worry. The cro-mo used doesn't get seriously rusted unless left outside in the rain for years. Mostly surface rust but still annoying. I've always used a wax type lube for the pedal surfaces and can be used to just cover the spindles with it as well. This should keep most of the rust away. Probably a good idea to coat the threads with grease or anti-seize at least yearly to prevent the spindle and crank from fusing together. If you ever buy another pair of Speedplays get the stainless version and no rust.
  • I think you crash helmet is a nice touch but not sure it goes with the bike? Maybe purple bottle cages would do it. With flowers obvs.
  • jpower
    I think you crash helmet is a nice touch but not sure it goes with the bike? Maybe purple bottle cages would do it. With flowers obvs.
    That's my winter helmet :D I think your right purple cages and bar tape should do it.

Well spotted.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    The cromoly ones do this. It is where your cleat rubs slightly on the shaft. You could wire brush it off, or sand it down with wet and dry, apply a bit of rust eater to neutralise what’s left if you can’t sand it all off, degrease thoroughly and paint the spindles black again, but it will return as the paint wears off again.

I swapped mine for after market titanium spindles eventually. http://www.dulight.fr/en/road/240-speedplay-zero-titanium-spindles-standard.html

PP