Clincher track tyres

sopworth
sopworth Posts: 191
edited April 2019 in Track
Hi
I'm about to take loan of a track bike from my club. The tyres need replacing and I was looking for some guidance on some decent clinchers for use on the track.
Am I to assume that just buying some GP4000's and using them is not the best way to go?
Thank you

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'd ask the club. They'll know what's best for the local track ?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Indoor or outdoor? If it's clinchers you are after, then GP Supersonic work well indoors, as do track specific tyres from the likes of Vittoria, Challenge, etc. If indoors, then check the specific track rules - a lot of them will outlaw dual compound tyres, or anything with 'Michelin' written on the side.

Outdoors, pretty much anything will do, depending on budget. Any good, lightweight slick is probably going to be ok. The level of puncture resistance required largely depends on the reputation of your local track.
  • mpdouglas
    mpdouglas Posts: 220
    I run Conti Grand Prix TTs on my BMC indoors at the Stratford velodrome, and they're great.
    "The Flying Scot"
    Commute - Boardman CXR 9.4 Di2
    Sunday Best - Canyon Ultimate SLX Disc w/ DuraAce Di2
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,249
    Veloflex record are v.nice esp with Supersonic inner tubes. My wife ran these in her time on the track.
  • othello
    othello Posts: 577
    Yes, depends if you are indoor or outdoor.

For tracks like Reading, a normal road race tyre is fine. GP4000s are perfect.
    Blogging about junior road bikes http://junior-road-bikes.tumblr.com
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,175
    Supersonic
    left the forum March 2023