Refresh or replace my hardtail

paul.skibum
paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
edited February 2018 in MTB buying advice
I currently have a 2004 Cove Handjob (snigger) - steel hardtail, 1x10 gearing, 2006 era Recon forks, 2013 slx brakes, cheap as chips MARS mechanical dropper and some 2006 era Crossride wheels. I also have a 5010 for the main trail bike.

Currently my Cove is my scoot to work bike and serves to do quick scoots through some local trails on my way home but the last two summers have highlighted a) the wheels are old, starting to pretzel, cant be made tubeless and as a result suffer punctures pretty much every ride b) the dropper post is next to useless and would be as effective if I had a rigid post and a qr clamp. The fork whilst still functioning is probably due either a service or a fail.

Aside from these issues I love riding my Cove, I had the frame stripped and powdercoated a few years back and it still rides great.

Within the realms of a sensible budget, do I get new wheels (26er, qr skewers, 135mm rear, 100mm front, tubeless ready rims) and a new dropper (KS Lev in 27.2mm flavour) and then wait for the fork to fail and see if I can find someone selling a new straight steerer qr fork. Or buy a straight steerer 15mm fork and matching wheels

OR

Look into one of the current crop of hardtails that keep catching my eye.

Bikes on my list shopping list Santa Cruz Chameleon (decently priced, can probably get a discount, bit on the xc end of the scale), Chromag (long travel locally made, possibly get a discount, still hideously expensive), Nukeproof Scout (mid range travel, reasonably priced and well received in latest iteration), Stif Morf, Ragley, P7 also show potential.

I figure the replacement stuff for my Cove would come in at over $1000 canadian, probably more like 1500 if I went for a fork too - cheapest option on bikes would be the Scout/Chameleon at 2100 ish. But I love my Cove....
Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.

Comments

• paul.skibum
    Update -

Bit more digging I found a replacement set of crossrides for $215 from Merlin, fork and dropper from Jenson USA for $400 US (around 500 canadian), will have to locate a set of adapters for the front wheel of the crossrides and do a ghetto tubeless setup. The fork is no better than the current one and only 100mm (current fork is a u turn 85-115 that I run at 115 all the time - frame was designed at 100mm but the next generation went to 120 with no perceivable change in frame) so maybe just do without that and get the post and wheels?

So stick with old and loved and splash some cash on her and hope the old standards come back into fashion or replace...

Replace will involve selling the Cove or getting a divorce.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    go bigger wheels. There's a reason 26er stuff is cheap. It's called demand for it.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Yebbut that demand level is fuelled by the big companies pushing 29 or 27.5 which (some will argue) they do to ensure that buyers are tempted into getting "new" stuff because it is / might be better.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    I'm still riding 26inch wheels, currently no interest in a new bike unless the frame or something breaks into pieces.

Up to you i'm currently in two minds about building a hardtail 26er out of parts i already have but would need to spend on brakes and a new crankset etc but these are all transferable items i can reuse on other bikes i guess.

no stans wheels going cheap on ebay?

what size headset does the bike run as most forks are now tapered. Should be able to pickup some decent condition rebas or whatever for a good price with 15mm maxle which would be a good idea if your going to replace wheels and fork.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    26" wheels = loads of cheap parts. I'd say stick with the Cove.
    Look to buy second hand if you can, lots of barely used/NOS parts around with big discounts as 26" no longer popular.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    larkim wrote:
    Yebbut that demand level is fuelled by the big companies pushing 29 or 27.5 which (some will argue) they do to ensure that buyers are tempted into getting "new" stuff because it is / might be better.

That may be true but it doesn't mean 26 wheels are as good as bigger ones.

You should buy the best bike you can (afford) in my view. If you're happy to ride old tech that's fine. The new stuff is better though, and it's not just wheel size - geometry and ergonomics have changed a lot in the last ten years.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • paul.skibum
    maddog 2 wrote:
    larkim wrote:

That may be true but it doesn't mean 26 wheels are as good as bigger ones.

You should buy the best bike you can (afford) in my view. If you're happy to ride old tech that's fine. The new stuff is better though, and it's not just wheel size - geometry and ergonomics have changed a lot in the last ten years.

As I mentioned I have a 5010 on 27.5 wheels as well as my hardtail (and an older Bronson that is for sale) I like the 27.5 and if money and space and so on were not a problem I would just get something new as well but they are not.

As for new is better - sure maybe but not really. I have no idea what the limits of my bikes are as I dont get there - my cove may have a 70mm stem and a 71 degree head angle but it still works a treat on the regular trails I ride it on - the 5010 might be better for steeper and deeper but I love the feel of a hardtail.

As for ebay and cheap stuff - I live in Whistler and the canadian ebay is not quite what it is in the UK - nothing is cheap and the second hand markets seem different.

Found CRC has some pretty basic shimano hubs custom builds that keep the costs down for the wheels and they have a dropper for a reasonable amount - might be worth a shot.

Still do like the look of the Scout 27.5 though....
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Larkin The argument that bike companies make bigger wheeled bikes just to sell something is bogus. They do it because bigger wheeled bikes as proved by Jeff apps a long time ago offer advantages that suit many riders that 26ers can't. I am quicker on my 29er compared to my 26ers. I like my old 26ers but I ride my 29ers instead. Stop using falsehoods to justify not. Changing your bike. If you want to continue to ride a 26er that absolutely fine. You don't have to justify the choice. When however it is justified with claptrap I'll let you know.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • swod1
    Still a lot of perfectly usable 26er parts about just have to think if its cost effective for you or not?
  • The Cova clearly means a lot to you so I would definitely not discard it. There may be options to adapt new tech to the old frame, worth looking into in depth as the new tech can really improve a ride, a local bike shop with good technical knowledge might know what's possible but don't count them as the only source of information if they say it's not possible.
    Failing that, I'd say get the original parts like for like, at least they should be cheap and you can continue enjoying your bike as it was meant to be. Look into getting bolt-through if you can, much nicer than skewers IMO, and might open up more options in terms of wheels, tyres, and gears.

I've only ever ridden 29er bikes (my 27.5 Plus is effectively a 29er too) so am just used to the geometry, tight corners can be a little tricky but nothing good balance and pedal power / control can't overcome. The speed along wide tracks and tarmac is certainly a bonus, I'm frequently zooming past people.
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    26 vs 27.5, the most pointless argument ever.

DYTgUcc.jpg
  • swod1
    Yes both my bikes are 26ers, not planning on switching to 27.5 anytime soon unless i spot something i like at a price i cant refuse.

Those tyres on the 26er look rather chunky compared with the racekings on the other bike.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    mattyfez wrote:
    26 vs 27.5, the most pointless argument ever.

DYTgUcc.jpg

26 vs 29, not so pointless.

39344948555_af3e577673_c.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • swod1 wrote:
    Yes both my bikes are 26ers, not planning on switching to 27.5 anytime soon unless i spot something i like at a price i cant refuse.

Those tyres on the 26er look rather chunky compared with the racekings on the other bike.

The RaceKings are probably 2.2s, those on the 26er could be 2.4 or wider. I used to run a Rocket Ron on my front but switched to Vittoria Barzo front and rear, much more racy and has more grip IMO, running them all year round now.
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    Jonathan is correct, they are 26x2.4, wider rims too, 33mm
    Unfortunately they don't make rocked ron that size any more, at least not for 26".
  • paul.skibum
    Going to order a decent pair of wheels from CRC - quick release XT hubs on Stans Crest and a new HiLo dropper to freshen up the bike and chuck on a proper functioning dropper. I will get the forks serviced and hope for the best that they hang on for a good couple years more.

Go tubeless will remove the flat tyre issues I currently have on my regular ride home, add a bit of compliance to save my back and I still have the 5010 for the longer and more technical adventures.

Not a cheap fix but cheaper than a new bike I dont need!
  • swod1
    sounds good, have you seen the brand x dropper post on offer for 80 on crc.

I'm doing something similar with an old hardtail and parts i have spare at the moment.

Is your 5010 the newer one with 150mm fork travel? a nomad or bronson is too much for my riding and do like the look of these newer SC 5010s
  • paul.skibum
    swod1 wrote:

I'm doing something similar with an old hardtail and parts i have spare at the moment.

Is your 5010 the newer one with 150mm fork travel? a nomad or bronson is too much for my riding and do like the look of these newer SC 5010s

It's a 2017 but all of them have 130 forks not 150 - its a great bike, fast and nimble but with plenty of life for everything I have ridden on it in Whistler - not the full on tank approach of my older Bronson for sure but doesnt give that much away. Would be a perfect UK bike for sure, it would eat up trail centres and long days in the Peaks and the like.
  • swod1
    swod1 wrote:

It's a 2017 but all of them have 130 forks not 150 - its a great bike, fast and nimble but with plenty of life for everything I have ridden on it in Whistler - not the full on tank approach of my older Bronson for sure but doesnt give that much away. Would be a perfect UK bike for sure, it would eat up trail centres and long days in the Peaks and the like.

I thought they now ran 150mm forks sure I've seen peaty run that size on the 5010c before at sea otter or somewhere.
  • paul.skibum
    swod1 wrote:
    swod1 wrote:

I thought they now ran 150mm forks sure I've seen peaty run that size on the 5010c before at sea otter or somewhere.

I can only tell you what is attached to my bike and what is listed on the spec sheet on the SC website. Frame is rated for a 120-140mm fork per the website but there are definitely people who run 150mm (Nash Masson I believe has a Fox 36 on his) but I am not sure I'd see the point if the Bronson exists and the new model Bronson is supposed to feel more like the 5010 with more travel where the older version sank into its travel a little more (in my experience). You'd have to really want a short travel rear and longer fork to put the 150 up front and then you could just buy a Scout instead. I considered getting the fork upped to 140mm as I believe the Fox just needs a small mod to do so but its nicely balanced as it is.