SRAM Lever/Caliper Compatibility

liamcorrigan
liamcorrigan Posts: 49
edited January 2018 in Workshop
Evening all, anyone have any knowledge of Sram component compatibility? I have a mate who is about to upgrade to eTap but the deal he's found on the groupset excludes brake calipers so he's looking to source some separately, probably Force rather than Red and possibly second-hand. Options he's considering include calipers from previous generation 10-speed Sram groups. Considering that Shimano changed the pull ratio of their levers when they moved from 10 to 11 speed so mixed -700 and -800 series components aren't compatible, I wondered if Sram might have done something similar which would create issues with using newer -22 levers with older '10 spd' calipers. Has anyone done this successfully?

I'm a bit in love with Shimano's compatibility chart but can't seem to find anything as comprehensive from Sram and all the questions being asked about compatibility online seem to relate to mixing Sram and Shimano components.

Cheers,

Liam

Comments

• beanstalk
    beanstalk Posts: 143
    I am not aware of pull ratio changes with Sram levers.
    When I mounted eTap on the bike I didn't change the brakes (from the 10speed Force group-set).
    After I got rid of eTap I had Sram Rival 10speed levers with Rival 22 brakes, I didn't noticed any pull ratio thing...
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    SRAM to SRAM is fine brake wise. They will even work with Shimano callipers but depends on how you like your brakes to feel. I like instant bite, which seems to be the result with a SRAM Shimano combination, but I had no choice as SRAM don't make direct mount brakes.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Cheers both!