Genesis Datum owners

rob13
rob13 Posts: 430
edited January 2018 in Road buying advice
Looking at buying a Datum. Not sure whether it'll replace one of my 2 bikes. Have a steel Croix de Fer 30 and a 2012 Super six. The Dale usually comes out in April but last year I found myself using the Croix quite a bit, just due to its good position for distance although the bike was never going to excel going uphill as its 11kg!

I saw the Datum a couple of years ago when I bought the CdF but wondered whether it would actually be a better proposition than a Supersix now as it'll take a max of 25mm tyres and that's a squeeze. I've clearly enjoyed the comfort of 30mm+. Disc brakes have also been very confidence inspiring but less necessary in summer

Is the Datum a lively ride or doe its relatively heavy weight for a carbon bike mean its still a jack of all and master of none?

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Just type Genesis Datum into the "Your Road Bikes" sub-forum and you'll find a few owners or former owners

For example "lawman" posted about his experiences in April last year

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... esis+Datum

Drop him a PM or any of the others who own or have owned one.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I kind of owned one briefly and vicariously.

Ex-pat colleague in Germany had a long service award paid for by the UK company. Decided he wanted a do-it-all bike faster than his heavy hybrid. Rutland were doing the 2017 Datum 20 for £1500 which was curiously the size of the award, so I told him to get one.

Courier failed to deliver it to Germany so it ended up back here in the office for a while. I fitted some mudguards for him, straightened the front disk, and set it up with his measurements before it went to Germany with his house contents later. I should really see how he's getting on with it.

Despite the temptation, and it being my size, I never so much as took it for a spin round the car park.

It seemed pretty light for a disk braked bike with fat tyres, and to me the pearlescent blue paint job made it a thing of beauty.

If I were choosing a new bike today I'd definitely be test riding one. I'm deliberately avoiding the Rutland website because until recently they had the same thing, in my size for £1300. The 2018 model is north of £2k.
  • rob13
    rob13 Posts: 430
    Thanks, hadn't thought to look in that area of the forum, generally buying advice.
  • animal72
    animal72 Posts: 251
    I've got one.
    To get it how I wanted it, I spent a few more £££ - Handbuilt wheels, Carbon Seatpost and better chainset.

No, it's not as lively as my "best" bike, but it's all-day comfy, fast enough, and can handle pretty rough gravel tracks.

Mine was £1300 in a sale, so pretty happy with what I've got for what I spent.
    Condor Super Acciaio, Record, Deda, Pacentis.
    Curtis 853 Handbuilt MTB, XTR, DT Swiss and lots of Hope.
    Genesis Datum Gravel Bike, Pacentis (again).
    Genesis Equilibrium Disc, 105 & H-Plus-Son.

Mostly Steel.