wednesday hit by shrapnel so small that it’s like we're leaking time

2»

Comments

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,862
    hopkinb wrote:
    Are you fcukers not on mains gas or something? Why are you burning stuff like primitives?

Nope, oil, but the Aga drinks the stuff so we mostly use the log burners

Hard wood for me as the neighbour had a couple of oaks come down last year
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,329
    hopkinb wrote:
    Are you fcukers not on mains gas or something? Why are you burning stuff like primitives?

Wood burners are so cosy - and cheap to run. You can stuff your bug spreading, fume producing, damp making central heating where the sun don't shine.
    ...and yes, no mains gas at PPP or here.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,475
    hopkinb wrote:
    Its what the natives do out in the provinces. That and eating freshly killed animals/doing sacrifices on the heath at midnight etc.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:
    Its what the natives do out in the provinces. That and eating freshly killed animals/doing sacrifices on the heath at midnight etc.

No need for that - plenty of road kill to casserole.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Wood burners are lovely, and there's free logs on Wimbledon common from tree clearance. I ain't got no chimneys. I am slightly jealous of just having a constant temperature with no fire.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    You don't need a chimney - just smash a hole in the roof. That's what Edwyn did.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pinno
    You don't need a chimney - just smash a hole in the roof. That's what Edwyn did.
    ...and nick a couple of paving slabs to put the woodburner on and then nick the neighbours metal drain pipe (plenty of that in the smoke) to vent it through the hole in the roof*. That'll do him proper.

*From Edwyn's "Install your wood burner Boyo, DIY guide".
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921

Roof?
  • pinno
    Ballysmate wrote:

Roof?

It's a good point.

Flyovers are reinforced with steel.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,300
    There’s a house round the corner that may have one of these primitive burny things, if I remember I’ll take a picture of the lash up of a flue, it’s hilarious. Why the fook didn’t they use the chimney?
    Had beer, beer is good. More beer is better.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Veronese68 wrote:
    There’s a house round the corner that may have one of these primitive burny things, if I remember I’ll take a picture of the lash up of a flue, it’s hilarious. Why the fook didn’t they use the chimney?
    Had beer, beer is good. More beer is better.

Yes beer is good and more beer better. The secret though is knowing when you have had the optimum amount. ie sufficient to feel good but not enough to make you feel ill.
    Unfortunately, judgement is usually clouded by ... er... having had too much beer. :oops:
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Pinno wrote:
    I'm quite happy just burning softwoods. It's predominantly Larch and purchased from a wood supplier. I stack it way in advance and it burns pretty hot.
    It's handy having some hard woods to keep the fire in for a couple of hours. If only I could get Ash in large quantities.

Larch is way better that Sitka spruce which I tend to acquire, we bought some just after we moved in in February and it's been great. I bought a load of compressed bark logs last time I was at the woodfuel place and that keeps it hot overnight, try and burn the free stuff normally though
    hopkinb wrote:

No gas mains for me, I think the town was offered it some years ago at a small cost per household but they all said no. Handily we are within 8 miles of some wind turbines so we get £200 a year off our electricity, currently pricing up a set of linked electric storage heaters. After the electricity discount it doesn't seem to be too bad and it's quite cheap to put in. I'm hoping to have it on low in the morning and when we are away to even out the house temp, but realistically that will depend on my enthusiasm for acquiring and processing wood. Even with the smaller of the two downstairs fires on we can get the house up to 22 degrees at the moment
  • Matthewfalle
    Ballysmate wrote:

Roof?

yes, roof. the thing that Edwyn used to have above his head.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Pinno wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

Roof?

It's a good point.

Flyovers are reinforced with steel.

hes no longer there - he sub let that place to Ieuan the Scot and move into the old fish smoking place.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.