Giant Toughroad SLR GX0

13»

Comments

• bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    So back out there on the Toughroad today ! Blowing a gale, pouring with rain. Popped some air in the tyres and did some lanes / gravel riding off road laps at Haldon. Again a great mix it up bike to hammering the road bike. Thought about selling it earlier this year, but bought and paid for and a reminder today of how great something like this can be. Only thing changed is a Zipp SL bar on - narrower and flat top, did not like the flared off road bar which were super wide.

44258449820_85bd6d8f65_c.jpg

46074339781_4aa31f6a8e_c.jpg
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    I've been looking again at the 2019 version. Now available in a lovely burnt orange colour. Can't afford it but very, very tempted...glad you're still enjoying yours.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • bristolpete
    Luv2ride wrote:
    I've been looking again at the 2019 version. Now available in a lovely burnt orange colour. Can't afford it but very, very tempted...glad you're still enjoying yours.

Looks great ! A bloke I work with but never ridden with has bought the new revised revolt adv 2 in orange. Happy with it but mulling disc / brake upgrade to lose the Giant conduct brakes.
  • bristolpete
    Beautiful cold crisp 'gravel' ride. Dartmoor in the background....

46175525121_eacba4570c_b.jpg
  • CWL
    CWL Posts: 3
    Nice bike and photos!

I stumbled upon this researching my next bike, ended up purchasing a gx3.

How do you find the sizing? I’m 5’10” with 31” inside leg, tried the M and ML size frame (Giant size guide not partically helpful). The ML initially felt right however the more I swapped between the two, the M felt better so went for the Med. Now I had time to set it up, I have a lot of seat post showing and now doubting if I should of gone for ML, however it feels slightly stretched. I don’t have a photo I can share but I think the post is at the 40 to 50 mark. What are your thoughts?

Finally what light are you using? My existing Lezyne strip drive is not very stable.
  • bristolpete
    CWL wrote:
    Nice bike and photos!

How do you find the sizing? I’m 5’10” with 31” inside leg, tried the M and ML size frame (Giant size guide not partically helpful). The ML initially felt right however the more I swapped between the two, the M felt better so went for the Med. Now I had time to set it up, I have a lot of seat post showing and now doubting if I should have gone for ML, however it feels slightly stretched. I don’t have a photo I can share but I think the post is at the 40 to 50 mark. What are your thoughts?

Finally what light are you using? My existing Lezyne strip drive is not very stable.

Happy with my fit though knocked 10mm off the stem to enhance the steering off road and binned the gravel bars as to big and did not like the flare. Running Zipp ergo. I prefer a bigger bike to a smaller bike as slightly more body than leg and never been a fan of massive amounts of drop. Typically Giant in its fit which to some is out of whack with other brands but no complaints here. Call it a ML which is akin to 56cm a.n.other though a smidge longer in TT the reach is the same.
  • CWL
    CWL wrote:
    Nice bike and photos!

How do you find the sizing? I’m 5’10” with 31” inside leg, tried the M and ML size frame (Giant size guide not partically helpful). The ML initially felt right however the more I swapped between the two, the M felt better so went for the Med. Now I had time to set it up, I have a lot of seat post showing and now doubting if I should have gone for ML, however it feels slightly stretched. I don’t have a photo I can share but I think the post is at the 40 to 50 mark. What are your thoughts?

Happy with my fit though knocked 10mm off the stem to enhance the steering off road and binned the gravel bars as to big and did not like the flare. Running Zipp ergo. I prefer a bigger bike to a smaller bike as slightly more body than leg and never been a fan of massive amounts of drop. Typically Giant in its fit which to some is out of whack with other brands but no complaints here. Call it a ML which is akin to 56cm a.n.other though a smidge longer in TT the reach is the same.

Cheers. Been fine tuning the bike and it’s feeling a lot better now, slid the saddle forward slightly and flip the stem. Still a lot of seat tube showing but I guest that’s how it’s designed with d fuse post for comfort. Definitely the correct size, the ML top tube is 15mm longer and 10mm on the stem, would been too stretched.
    dateposted-public
  • luv2ride
    Saw a Toughroad in my LBS today. Mighty tempted between this and the new 2019 Arkose X: https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-ar ... e-EV339949
    Very impressed with the frame and clearances on the Toughroad. Probably a good thing they didn't have the 1x Apex version in stock when I called in....

I forgot to look when in the shop, does the Toughroad have cage mounts on the forks?
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • CWL
    Luv2ride wrote:
    Saw a Toughroad in my LBS today. Mighty tempted between this and the new 2019 Arkose X: https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-ar ... e-EV339949
    Very impressed with the frame and clearances on the Toughroad. Probably a good thing they didn't have the 1x Apex version in stock when I called in....

I forgot to look when in the shop, does the Toughroad have cage mounts on the forks?

Nope, for mounting a rack only. It’s a great bike, I look foward to the weekend to explore the back lanes and bridleways.
  • luv2ride
    CWL wrote:
    Luv2ride wrote:

Nope, for mounting a rack only. It’s a great bike, I look foward to the weekend to explore the back lanes and bridleways.
    Thanks for the reply. Subsequently watched the Giant Toughroad promo vid and it shows it with front panniers, so must be fitted with a rack. Still paying off my road disc bike so might pull the trigger after that's settled, probably April...assuming I can be that patient.