Where to go?

marcarm
marcarm Posts: 134
edited January 2018 in Tour & expedition
I am planning a few days away in late May, but undecided where to go.

What I want to do is 2 days on the road bike, a day on a MTB in the forest (hired as I don't own one at the moment) and another day on the road before coming home. I will be camping. MTB would be XC as I prefer technical rides instead of bombing downhill as fast as possible.

Hiring a MTB from Grizedale I would be able to get a really good bike, instead of some budget bike that would be awful to ride, I can't afford to buy a nice one so hiring a really good bike definitely appeals

I have narrowed it down to 2 places, the Lakes or Cornwall area.

I have been to the Lakes a few years ago, staying near Ullswater

Pros: lovely area, Grizedale for the MTB
Cons: Been there before, but obviously the Lakes is huge so plenty of places I could go that I didn't before.

Cornwall:
Pros: Never been there before, somewhere I have wanted to go for a while
Cons: Don't know too much about the area, not sure if there is decent MTB anywhere

Now, the caveat as there clearly is one, I broke my leg in October and although I am just starting to get back to riding, due to some lasting effects from the accident I am unable to get out of the saddle too much, so am looking for somewhere with not too many hills. I will be going on my own so can go anywhere I choose, as long as there is camping there. I am in Essex and both places are about 4 hours away so that is not a problem.

Anyone able to give any advice?

Thanks in advance