R8000 compatibility

Roberto di Velo
Roberto di Velo Posts: 127
edited January 2018 in Workshop
After some knee problems, I've changed to shorter cranks and hence am in the market for a new chainset. At the moment, I've got a mix of ultegra/105 on both my main bikes. However, the online the prices for either a 5800 or 6800 chainset seems to be really high. Speaking to my LBS, they reckon there is a bit of a shortage in both these ranges, with the new 105 expected fairly soon and R8000 already out.

So R8000 actually looks the best value, but the snag is that I understand the new chainset isn't compatible with the old front derailleur, whilst the LBS also suggested that there could be other components that are likely to not work that well together. Anyone out there got any experience of the potential compatibility of old/new ultegra/105?

Comments

• mike1-2
    mike1-2 Posts: 456
    I don’t see why they wouldn’t work together, Shimano may state that in order to get you to upgrade more than one component at a time, however a front mech once adjusted should work on almost all Chainsets. I think you’ll be fine,
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    I think the difference is that the gap between the chainrings in 0.7mm wider on the new R8000 group to better work with 135mm TA spacing. Should make cross-chaining from small to small marginally better but make front shifting slightly worse if using an older spec front mech.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Thanks for the advice, that's really handy to know.

I'm quite tempted by the offers on a new R8000 groupset.
  • Thanks for the advice, that's really handy to know.

I'm quite tempted by the offers on a new R8000 groupset.

So was I - so I splurged for one before Christmas as Merlin had them at a good price (£625) with a further 10% off.
    Makes the thought of compromising on 6800 non existent.