Tyre Repair Ideas

Scoob84
Scoob84 Posts: 76
edited January 2018 in Workshop
I'm been having the worst luck recently with punctures on my commutes to work. I've put it down to my new route in which unavoidably takes me through Clapham where smashed glass from pissheads finds its way into my tyres, especially when then roads are damp.

In frustration, i recently bought a pair of 28mm duranos to see that i can go a month without a puncture, but alas, with less than a 100 miles in the rear tyre, i piece of glass when straight through the rubber and protective kevlar (or whatever material it is) strip. This has left the tiniest of holes through which you can just make out a very slight bulge in the tyre and the inner tube is just about visible. It would be pointless to continue riding these in their current state.

With me being such a tight b*****d i'm reluctant to chuck these tyres straight in the bin. Does anyone have any suggestions to bodge these tyres to either fill the gap or put an extra layer of protection between the hole and inner tube?

These are commuting tyres, so i will accept a degree of performance drop off with any bodge suggestions, but i still want to remain SCR competitive.

Apologies if this has been discussed before..

Comments

• milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    Scoob84 wrote:
    I'm been having the worst luck recently with punctures on my commutes to work. I've put it down to my new route in which unavoidably takes me through Clapham where smashes glass from pissheads finds its way into my tyres, especially when then roads are damp.

In frustration, i recently bought a pair of 28mm duranos to see that i can go a month without a puncture, but alas, with less than a 100 miles in the rear tyre, i piece of glass when straight through the rubber and protective kevlar (or whatever material it is) strip. This has left the tiniest of holes through which you can just make out a very slight buldge in the tyre and the inner tube is just about visible. It would be pointless to continue riding these in their current state.

With me being such a tight b*****d i'm reluctant to chuck these tyres straight in the bin. Does anyone have any suggestions to bodge these tyres to either fill the gap or put an extra layer of protection between the hole and inner tube?

These are commuting tyres, so i will accept a degree of performance drop off with any bodge suggestions, but i still want to remain SCR competitive.

Apologies if this has been discussed before..

Glue ( cyanoacrylate) works well, or some thixotropic engineer adhesive .

https://www.priorityplumbing.co.uk/evo- ... gJ9AvD_BwE

Like this.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    I just put a piece of duck tape or similar on the inside of the tyre - stops the tube pushing into the tyre defect.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    edited January 2018
    I've used tyre repair patches before and they work well (very tough). Abrade tyre, then use vulcanizing cement (puncture repair glue) allow to dry -then place patch. Like these-[urlhttps://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-x-45mm-TYRE-TIRE-PUNCTURE-REPAIR-PATCH-PATCHES-TUBE-CAR-BICYCLE-BIKE-TRACTOR/270692006841?epid=1388208372&hash=item3f06803bb9:g:R7gAAOSwo4pYGitc][/url]
    I still wouldn't use them on sidewalls though.
  • I have a couple of 12" lengths of Gorilla tape (duct tape) wrapped around my mini pump should any such problem occur when I'm out riding.
  • Scoob84
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Those tyre patches look the part and might be exactly what i need. Taping the hole up is a good temp fix, but i'm hoping for a few extra thousand KMs out of these. I had used my surrey league license in the past in a similar fashion, it got me to work and then home, but the hole was bigger and the subsequent bulge in the tyre far more noticeable.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I had a similar dilemma a while ago when I cut a virtually brand new tyre. All my attempts at patching / booting, while initially successful, pretty quickly wore holes in the inner-tubes.

I gave in and bought another tyre. As a Yorkshireman I found it physically painful binning the damaged but pristine one.

Marathon Plus are alleged to be pretty well puncture proof. But ride like wood and are a b@stard to get on and off. I have no personal experience. My winter bike has GP4 Seasons.
  • kingdav
    kingdav Posts: 417
    I have 32mm marathon plus on one of my commuters. I'm told they weigh a ton but the bike was no lightweight to start with so I've not noticed. I'm going to tempt fate now by declaring that I've done 4k km on them with no punctures or any other problems taking in the gutters of Croydon, Streatham, Brixton etc. every day. They also have delightful reflective sidewalls.

I went to evans, pricematch in hand, to buy 28mm conti gatorhards and the guy convinced me to go for the schwalbes, he even searched the net looking for a decent price for me to match.
  • keef66
    I like Evans. They've just sent me a £10 voucher code despite the fact I've bought nothing from them for 2 years
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    I find that a five pound note works well as a tyre boot / patch too.
  • Scoob84
    I find that a five pound note works well as a tyre boot / patch too.

Literally throwing money at the problem
  • Scoob84
    kingdav wrote:
    I have 32mm marathon plus on one of my commuters. I'm told they weigh a ton but the bike was no lightweight to start with so I've not noticed. I'm going to tempt fate now by declaring that I've done 4k km on them with no punctures or any other problems taking in the gutters of Croydon, Streatham, Brixton etc. every day. They also have delightful reflective sidewalls.

I went to evans, pricematch in hand, to buy 28mm conti gatorhards and the guy convinced me to go for the schwalbes, he even searched the net looking for a decent price for me to match.

I've been tempted by marathons as this bike mostly only used for commuting duties. But i've been scared off these heavy duty tyres after using the folding specialized all condition (next gen armadillos i think) which were noticeably sluggish. I need every advantage i can get for SCR i'm afraid.
  • Scoob84
    Is there any reason why one of these wouldn't work on a normal clincher tyre?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/hutchinson-repa ... epair-kit/
  • keef66
    Scoob84 wrote:
    Is there any reason why one of these wouldn't work on a normal clincher tyre?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/hutchinson-repa ... epair-kit/

They look interesting! Never had tubeless so I don't know what the inside of one looks like or what it's made of, but I presume if you thoroughly prepare the tyre you'd get one to stick. The feathered edges suggest they wouldn't wear holes in innertubes either.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Tubeless repair patches have a mesh reinforcement unlike a regular patch has no reinforcement. Cheapskates can buy Rema motorbike tyre patches and cut them up
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • keef66 wrote:
    I like Evans. They've just sent me a £10 voucher code despite the fact I've bought nothing from them for 2 years
    They've just sent you a £10 voucher code because you've bought nothing from them for 2 years...
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Marathons are pretty bombproof. If you don't want to stop for flats then I'd go with these. They're heavy but they will make you stronger for the summer tyres.