Garmin 810 Replacement

ajkerr73
ajkerr73 Posts: 318
edited January 2018 in Road buying advice
My 810 is on its last legs. Had 3 or 4 good years service out of it, barring the usual random synching issues and the odd freeze.

I use it extensively for leading rides on routes that I’m not always familiar with so need the ability to load up a route and the advanced warning of turns.

What are my options for a replacement?

Am I right in saying Element Bolt and 520 don’t do the above?

Comments

• -Dash
    -Dash Posts: 179
    In what way is it on its last legs? Battery life?

There are battery replacement kits out there. Might be worth a try though never tried myself.
  • Elemnt Bolt will give turn by turn, but I found the map much harder to read than on the Garmin 820. Much prefer the displayed map/turn style and the ability to use any route creation software you like with the 820, whereas the Bolt ties you into MapMyRide or Strava to create and transfer routes to the device.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I had good service from my 810 but only sold it as the software updates for it weren't giving me the same available functions as you could get on 820 etc. Sold the 810 for £150 which meant the 820 cost me £125 .
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    Ajkerr73 wrote:
    My 810 is on its last legs. Had 3 or 4 good years service out of it, barring the usual random synching issues and the odd freeze.

I use it extensively for leading rides on routes that I’m not always familiar with so need the ability to load up a route and the advanced warning of turns.

The 520 does if the route is loaded before starting.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Have you had a look at the Garmin 1030 .?theres some clips on u tube, I have one and can recommend it , in my opinion excellent
  • ajkerr73
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Ajkerr73 wrote:

That is interesting and having looked at a you tube video of the 520, it looks as if it does do what I want it to. Thanks very much
  • ajkerr73
    Have you had a look at the Garmin 1030 .?theres some clips on u tube, I have one and can recommend it , in my opinion excellent

I did look at the 1030. Not willing to pay that much.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Ajkerr73 wrote:

The 520 isn't really deigned as a mapping unit. It has limited storage available for maps so that may be an issue if you can't fit a map of a suitable area for you or if you like to go to different areas to cycle.

Also the 520 does not do full navigation like the 800/810/1000/1030. The turn warnings will only appear if the route files have suitable course point in them. These course points have to be placed in advance of a turn to get warning in time. It will not calculate the turn details like the 800/810/1000/1030 units.
  • ajkerr73
    wongataa wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Ajkerr73 wrote:

The 520 isn't really deigned as a mapping unit. It has limited storage available for maps so that may be an issue if you can't fit a map of a suitable area for you or if you like to go to different areas to cycle.

Also the 520 does not do full navigation like the 800/810/1000/1030. The turn warnings will only appear if the route files have suitable course point in them. These course points have to be placed in advance of a turn to get warning in time. It will not calculate the turn details like the 800/810/1000/1030 units.

Oh bugger!
  • pblakeney
    wongataa wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Ajkerr73 wrote:

I really must tell it that then as it successfully navigated me turn by turn through the Pyrenees 18 months ago with all six days routes loaded before I left the UK. Silly 520. :wink: It doesn't do maps, but it does do routes.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • ajkerr73
    PBlakeney wrote:
    wongataa wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Ajkerr73 wrote:

I really must tell it that then as it successfully navigated me turn by turn through the Pyrenees 18 months ago with all six days routes loaded before I left the UK. Silly 520. :wink: It doesn't do maps, but it does do routes.

This is what I want it to do (and what I get from my 810 just now)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9pBRgeAPck
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    PBlakeney wrote:
    wongataa wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Ajkerr73 wrote:
    It does do routes, but differently then the 800/810/1000/1030. It will follow a route track. It will beep at you if you leave the track. It cannot recalculate a route. You cannot create a route on the unit. The only turn warnings are from course points that need to be created and added to the route when the route is made on a computer. The routing capabilities are the same as the Edge 500 but you can now overlay the track on a small amount of map.

The 800/810/1000/1030 can also do this. However, they also have turn guidance. When you use this the unit calculates when to tell you to turn left/right etc. Course points are not required for turn guidance. It also measn that if you deviate from your route the unit can recalculate the route (though this usually doesn't result in what you would like). It also means you can tell the unit to create a route to a point you specify on the map or to a POI itself.
  • pblakeney
    Basically the 800+ is for use if you get lost. :wink:
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Elemnt or Ellemnt Bolt all the way. Have had Garmin devices for years from the 705 to the 820 and none of them are a match for the simplicity and reliability of the Wahoo devices. Both do turn by turn with full world mapping included.

The 520, you will need to load and delete maps if you travel to other counties as its memory is so woefully low.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Elemnt Bolt will give turn by turn, but I found the map much harder to read than on the Garmin 820. Much prefer the displayed map/turn style and the ability to use any route creation software you like with the 820, whereas the Bolt ties you into MapMyRide or Strava to create and transfer routes to the device.
    I'm pretty sure that the Bolt will work with routes created on any service in much the same way as the 520. However the advantage of using Ride With GPS or Komoot is that the route is automatically synched to the unit, and once on the ride the unit beeps and flashes about 200m before a cue point and again just before you get there, and I think this functionality only works if you use these services. Routes are automatically synched from Strava too (or even Dropbox), but you don't get the cue points unless you manually create them yourself.

But like others have pointed out, it does not work the same as the 820 which effectively creates its own cue points from any loaded route. For me the lower price, ease of use and battery life all more than offset the convenience of having full mapping on the device.
  • cgfw201
    cgfw201 Posts: 680
    really can't imagine ever needing more mapping and prompts than you get from an Elemnt. Edge 1030 is laughably expensive.