Bike for etape du tour? Wilier or Trek?

fschwarz
fschwarz Posts: 4
edited January 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi,
new to the forum. I started cycling a little over a year ago and have done a bit over 4500km in 2017 with many cyclosportive races. The bike I got end of 2016 seemed like a high budget at the time :)

I got a trek Emonda S6 (with ultegra) in 2016. Since then, I have upgraded the wheels with C24 Dura ace, a carbon seatpost and a stages power meter. The bike weighs around 8.6 and now around 8.2 after the upgrade. Not light weight, but it is an entry level carbon bike.

Now, I registered for my 2018 challenge, the etape du tour, (http://www.letapedutour.com/en/the-race/route), 170km and 4000m climb. More than anything I have done (did 176km on flatish ground - lake Geneva tour, and around 140km with 2500m climb in one of the local amateur cyclosportive).

I am now looking to keep my current bike as a winter, rainy weather, etc. and purchase another bike for this race and other sunny days. I have 2 options (at the same price) which are quite different and wanted some opinion:

- 2014 Wilier zero 7 with Campagnolo Super Record EPS with 10k km at 6.48km (without pedals). Used but in top shape (I know the owner). Downside is it is Campagnolo that I dont know and I wont be able to use my power meter (Shimano Crank model) or my wheels (Shimano wheels don't fit Campagnlolo). The bike was listed at 13.5K Swiss francs new (yes some people spend that kind of money apparently).... It rides like a dream as I was able to test drive it

- 2017 (new) Trek Domane SLR 8 with Dura Ace Mechanical at 7.09kg (without pedals). End of series with heavy discount. Geometry is more endurance and the power meter could be re-used as well as my wheels which would bring weight down under 7kg. Dont know how it rides as local shops dont seem to offer a test drive....

On one side, the WIlier is top of the line with electronic shifting with super light frame, while trek is new, a tad heavier with compatibility with my other bike.

Cant seem to decide... any opinions or owner of the either of those models that would have some advice?

Comments

• kingdav
    kingdav Posts: 417
    I think this is a decision you'll feel rather than reason.

Assuming all 11speed, you probably can re-use the wheels, keep using a shimano or sram cassette and it should work with the campag derailleur fine. What you can't do is put a campag cassette on the wheels (maybe this is possible with a new freehub or adaptor, I'm not sure), but there isn't really a good reason to do that.

Maybe the Emonda is light enough? Instead of buying another carbon climber you could get an alloy bike with discs for winter.

I do like the sound of the Willier, you don't see super record often and there's something magic about Italian bikes.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    If you're on Shimano already I'd stay with it for compatibility.

I'd rather have a bike that I've ridden and liked than one I haven't. There's thousands of options out there.
  • naavt
    naavt Posts: 226
    Ambrosio makes Campy cassettes to fit Shimano hubs. Wilier all the way for me.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Miche also do Shimano splined Campagnolo spaced cassettes and they are just as good quality as anything.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • The Zero 7 is a fantastic frame and the EPS system is a brilliant bit of kit (I've been running my Record EPS since 2014 with no problems).

As for wheel compatibility issues - there are none. Just stick your wheels in there and ride. You'll probably need to do a swift rear mech alignment (which is generally required for any wheel brand change) but that entails holding down the small button on the right shifter for 5 secs, a few micro shifts until the chain runs quietly then press the button again to lock in the new position. It's a brilliant wee feature that can be carried out while you're riding.
  • naavt
    naavt Posts: 226
    Miche also do Shimano splined Campagnolo spaced cassettes and they are just as good quality as anything.

I was very excited with Miche Supertype cassettes until I tried one. They wear out 10 times faster than Campy cassettes!
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Which is the most comfortable?
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • I would guess the Trek with the their Isospeed system (https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/insi ... /isospeed/) .... but not able to test it.
    Which is the most comfortable?
  • Thanks for feedback and happy to hear my wheels would fit with an easy process on the EPS...
    The Zero 7 is a fantastic frame and the EPS system is a brilliant bit of kit (I've been running my Record EPS since 2014 with no problems).

As for wheel compatibility issues - there are none. Just stick your wheels in there and ride. You'll probably need to do a swift rear mech alignment (which is generally required for any wheel brand change) but that entails holding down the small button on the right shifter for 5 secs, a few micro shifts until the chain runs quietly then press the button again to lock in the new position. It's a brilliant wee feature that can be carried out while you're riding.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    So the Willier it is.

Best choice - top work that man.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Trek of those 2 - it's a brand new bike with full warranty as well as being compatible with your existing kit. OK so it's not italian but is that really important?

There is a decent case for sticking with the Emonda as it's a decent bike and 1kg isn't going to make a significant difference on l'etape. Get a proper winter bike with fitted mudguards and disc brakes. Domane SL6 would do nicely. :D
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • If keeping the other bike, if the other bike has Shimano parts I'd stick with a Shimano equipped N+1. If something were to happen, you could swap an 11spd part in minutes and be out no time at all.

For that reason, the new Trek instead of the Willier.

Just me.....

Also, FWIW......I recently dropped easily over a pound off my bike. Ditched the stock saddle for a Fizik carbon I got on super deep discount for last season's merchandise......and my shoes. Got those the same way, last year's model on big sale. Got what were essentially $300 carbon shoes for only $130.

Other than taking a huge dump or losing weight yourself, the cheapest bike weight loss I could have spent money on.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    The Domane is a Trek, so for me it's a no brainer... get the other one.

And while you're at it sell the emonda and the power meter and get something else second hand and cheaper as a winter bike.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I love Willier and Campy, so I may be slightly biased!

However, I'm also no spring chicken and made a terrible mistake a couple of years ago, buying a frame which had the stem cut down and created what for me was a much too aggressive riding position which completely crocked my back when I tackled a particularly hilly sportive in the peak district.

My dodgy back probably makes me overly cautious but I'd strongly suggest you check out the geometry and set up of the Willier to make sure you are able to get a perfect bike fit - you do not want to find out half way round the etape that it's not quite right for you! Ideally, you want to make sure both bikes have the same geometry set up to make for seamless swapping between the two. If you can achieve this with the Willier, it gets my vote, otherwise it may be easier to match the two Treks.

Peter