UKIP leadership: from joke to farce, via slightly creepy.

2»

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,550
    Veronese68 wrote:
    cougie wrote:
    So glad my passport runs out this year. I can avoid the bloody blue passport for a bit longer.
    Is that because you are a true patriot and want a British passport that's British or because you are a traitor and want a British passport that's European? I get confused by these things and I don't know if holders of blue passports will be traitors for having foreign passports.
    Looking forward to getting my Italian passport to avoid all of this confusion. :lol:

and is it subversive to point out that most people thought their old passports were black

I've got my old one in a draw and looked at it when they started talking about blue passports, I'm still convinced it's black. It was also a hard cover whereas the new one will be soft which is inappropriate - we should have a hard cover as we are hard, not like those softie Europeans.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    Pross wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    cougie wrote:
    So glad my passport runs out this year. I can avoid the bloody blue passport for a bit longer.
    Is that because you are a true patriot and want a British passport that's British or because you are a traitor and want a British passport that's European? I get confused by these things and I don't know if holders of blue passports will be traitors for having foreign passports.
    Looking forward to getting my Italian passport to avoid all of this confusion. :lol:

and is it subversive to point out that most people thought their old passports were black

I've got my old one in a draw and looked at it when they started talking about blue passports, I'm still convinced it's black. It was also a hard cover whereas the new one will be soft which is inappropriate - we should have a hard cover as we are hard, not like those softie Europeans.

I won a bet many years ago with a work colleague who to prove his point brought in his passport and threw it on my desk. I placed it against a black object and the look of shock on his face was something to behold.

They were very dark navy blue which to the casual observer appeared to be black

There is also a lively debate about whether tennis balls are yellow or green
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,550
    The new one seems to be an obvious blue though so we still haven't got 'our' blue passport back.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    Pross wrote:
    The new one seems to be an obvious blue though so we still haven't got 'our' blue passport back.

it is almost like they are angry people looking for a cause
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,775
    Pross wrote:
    Which we could have had 2 years ago and avoided all this nonsense.
    If anyone had bothered to ask our Government.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,509
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    You'll be fine headed for a holiday in Europe. What happens when you need to get home? :wink:
    Carry both & swap.
    Exactly.
    Lucky for you Italy is on the list.
    http://nomadcapitalist.com/2014/04/25/countries-allow-dual-citizenship/

Some other people however may need to queue for 10 minutes longer...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,700
    depends how you get dual nationality.

In some instances each nation thinks you are their citizen and you don’t need to declare you are a citizen of another unless you start joining a military or civil service.
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    I’ve just finished reading a book called ‘Walls come tumbling down’ about Rock against racism and left wing politics in the late 70’s/early 80’s and it’s interesting how the demise of RAR and UKIP have very similar parallels, once the main objective had been achieved ( defeating the NF/ voting to leaving the European Union) the impetus of the founders was diluted (they were both knackered from the efforts) and the latecomers were left to fight over the carcass of a demoralised movement!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,324
    Doesn't surprise me Crispy. Was at a Stiff Little Fingers gig on Friday night and one of them was wearing a T shirt that had FCK NZS printed boldly on the front. I'm guessing the vowels U, A and I should be added so looks like they still have the political stance but are just less vocal. Surprised that whilst Trump was mentioned and they had written a song about him there was no mention of the Irish border.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    crispybug2 wrote:
    I’ve just finished reading a book called ‘Walls come tumbling down’ about Rock against racism and left wing politics in the late 70’s/early 80’s and it’s interesting how the demise of RAR and UKIP have very similar parallels, once the main objective had been achieved ( defeating the NF/ voting to leaving the European Union) the impetus of the founders was diluted (they were both knackered from the efforts) and the latecomers were left to fight over the carcass of a demoralised movement!
    It's always going to be a problem for a one issue entity. What is UKIPs purpose now they have achieved the vote?
    It was always the case that a broad spectrum of beliefs were united behind one common theme. Once the single issue that united them was out of the way, you are left with no coherent purpose. The fact that the Brexit argument had no actual agenda beyond 'out is better' and the task of sustaining it is impossible. The suggestion that UKIP could hold government to account over Brexit was a valid one if there was a genuine vision for what Brexit actually meant. I'd suggest most Brexit voters want protectionism rather than the free market ideals they're getting but, the goals were never clear so what do you argue?
  • RallyBiker
    RallyBiker Posts: 378
    In five years time, are you lot still going to be winging about this, or are you going to Rule #5 and get with the programme? :lol::lol::lol:
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Is your full name Nuremberg Rally Biker ?
  • RallyBiker
    RallyBiker Posts: 378
    cougie wrote:
    Is your full name Nuremberg Rally Biker ?
    Is yours CoCo? :lol::lol:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,700
    Stop laughing at your own sh!t jokes.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,687
    To misquote Maynard in Pulp Fiction, "the spider just caught himself a fly"