Tyre-Rim Incompatibility

Gelphyn
Gelphyn Posts: 9
edited January 2018 in Workshop
When purchased my Focus Paralane Factory Gravel Bike was shod with Schwalbe G-One Speed Tyres 700 x 30:

https://www.schwalbe.com/en/road-reader/schwalbe-g-one-speed.html

On Zipp 30 Course Disc-brake Clincher (Tubeless-Ready) Wheels:

http://www.zipp.com/wheels/30-course-disc-brake-clincher/#sm.00005o57if5l7f1xx6g28pkfje8nb

For riding rougher tracks I purchased a set of Schwalbe G-One Allround Tyres 700 x 35:

https://www.schwalbe.com/en/road-reader/schwalbe-g-one-allround.html

All fired up and ready to go very heavy rain changed my mind because suitable wet weather clothing was still winging its way toward me.
This provided an ideal opportunity to test fit the 35c Tyres, as the 30c Tyres were already pretty tight to the bike's Curana Mudguards.
Removing the first tyre presented a surprise, there is a very wide range in the 'fit' of Tyres to Rims, but I had never come across such a tight fit. I have always had multiple personal bikes and also 'look after' those belonging to family and friends.
Usually removal and fitting can be done with using only hands, occasionally a Plastic Lever is needed to lift a Bead over the Rim if the tyre is very robust or the temperature is very cold.

Mindful of the importance of not causing any damage, extremely unlikely using only hands, alternative methods of removal had to be considered. Suffice to say I tried many previously successful methods but concluded that the use of a Bench Vice would be needed.
Before starting work I alerted the Retailers regarding the problem, and unsurprisingly for a newly released product there was no service history. This was probably due to the lack of mileage covered by purchasers? I convinced the Retailer that the problem was real, to their credit they took a similar bike from stock to see if the problem could be proven. The outcome was that they had to use a Bench Vice. Very soon the Focus Representative discovered other Retailers were reporting similar problems.

With the promise of New Tyres being supplied the original set were removed. This requires deflation and gripping the tyre in the vice with the wheel perched centrally above the jaws. Several layers of cloth were used to protect the rubber from the jaws and the positioning is critical to avoid clamping or damaging the rims. At least 3mm of clearance between the cloth covering and the rim edge is essential. Clamping the rubber has to be strong enough to prevent the wheel being pulled out of the jaws whilst the Wheel is gently twisted, say 5° or so, clockwise then anticlockwise about a line running vertically from the centre of the jaw width through the centre of the wheel. The object is to 'walk' the bead off the rim.
As this action progresses gradually increase the twisting angle, but beware of trying to 'hurry' the progress. When the beads are above the central 'well' of the rim the rest of the tyre will almost 'fall off' or at least be easy to remove. But do not release your grip otherwise the wheel may fall, sustain damage or cause injury.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/155449020@N04/25810134378/in/dateposted-ff/
NB. PLEASE READ THE COMMENTS ATTACHED TO THIS IMAGE. I WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR ACTIONS

The above should indicate to any interested party that this Tyre-Wheel combination is NOT FIT FOR PUPOSE, because a puncture whilst out riding would need a Bench Vice to enable a repair to be effected.
This raises questions about the possibilities of other incompatible combinations, there are may Cycling Forums with tales of 'difficult' tyres including many that relate to Tubeless Ready/Easy and non specific 'Tubeless Rims'.

A 35c Tyre, mentioned above. was also fitted to the Wheel and presented an identical problem. However the 35c Tyre did, just, fit with the mudguards installed. 35c Winter Tyres require the mudguards to be removed whilst 30c Winter Tyres fit with Mudguards in situ. The schwalbe G-One Tyres are now fitted to two pairs of Carbon Wheels and the Course 30 Wheels are used with the Winter Tyres.

Unless confident that their tyres are capable of being removed, by usual methods, perhaps Users should give consideration to proving that it can be done without recourse to visiting a workshop?

Comments

• curium
    curium Posts: 815
    Mate, this is why I've stayed away from tubeless until it gets a bit more reliable from this POV.
  • FWIW, I have S-One (what the G-One used to be called) on DT Swiss R23 wheels. Fitting and removing them is about the same difficulty (ie not too much) as the average tyre...