Just got a new bike but having problems with clips and chain

rowanharley
rowanharley Posts: 76
edited January 2018 in Workshop
I just brought my new bike out for a ride today and had a few problems with my clips and the chain. Almost every time I went into the large chainring, the chain came off. I also had problems with my Look keo clipless pedals and cleats, which came out on at least 5 occasions, each one coming from pulling up on the pedalling. It only came from the right cleat and on two occasions, actually landed and dragged off the ground at speed before I got it back into the pedal. They're only new so is it just a matter of tightening something, or should I bring them back and ask for a new pair? It could possibly be from the way I'm using them and that I might be using them wrong as I'm used to mtb clipless pedals.

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    What pedals are they ? Some you can adjust the release tension.

You should know when you're in securely in as the click is loud.

The front mech probably just needs a half turn on the adjusting screw.
  • noodleman
    noodleman Posts: 852
    Cougie is right about the chain issues. Limit screw probably just needs adjusting so the mech doesn't move out quite so far. I'm sure you're used to clipless pedals but just wondering if maybe you're twisting your foot at all, as you shouldn't be able to pull your feet out just by pulling upwards.
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • Its possible that they turn a bit but I never really clipped out when I used the mtb clipless pedals. In response to the pedals, they are Look Keo 2 I think but I did see a place where they can be tightened so as long as it can be easily fixed, then I should be fine. Thanks for the help!
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Its possible that they turn a bit but I never really clipped out when I used the mtb clipless pedals. In response to the pedals, they are Look Keo 2 I think but I did see a place where they can be tightened so as long as it can be easily fixed, then I should be fine. Thanks for the help!

Yes - at the rear of the pedal there will be a small grub screw recessed into the upper or underside of the metal clip that holds your cleat in place. I think it might be for a 3 or 4mm allen key - not sure exactly but around that size. If you turn that screw clockwise it will increase the tension on the spring that acts on the metal clamping clip. Just experiment until you get a tension you are happy with
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    The only way you’ll pull your foot out by lifting straight up with clipless, is using multi release SPD cleats and SPD pedals, even then you have to deliberately do it. The chain issue is probably down to the front mech moving too far out, turn the H screw ( the one closest to the cranks ) counter clockwise, until the mech moves in a bit.