SLR v SL? Hi Mod v Non Hi Mod? What does it all mean?

jamie4759
jamie4759 Posts: 117
edited January 2018 in Road buying advice
Hello all,

There seems to be various choices in relation to the different carbon used on frames. Trek for example offer the Domane and Emonda in both SLR and SL ranges, whilst Cannondale offer both Hi Mod and Non Hi Mod options. Realistically speaking, what are the differences between the high end and mid range frames? Surely, the ride qualities of the SLR and Hi Mod frames can be replicated by choosing higher end wheels and pairing them with the mid range frames such as the SL (Trek) and Non Hi Mod (Cannondale). Or, should the emphasis be when choosing a new steed be purely on the frame? There is an interesting podcast on VeloNews (ep. 29 "Future of bikes") where one of the speakers was asked what bike he would buy for $4500, and he replied "3x bikes for $1500" and he suggested buying good wheels. He basically suggested that buyers should look for a decent frame that fits and simply put the money into the wheels. I tend to think that if you are not racing at a high level, then consider the mid range options. Any views on this? Anyone else had the same queries?

Comments

• Generally, the so called Hi Mod frames just use a slightly higher grade of carbon which allows for a lighter weight frame (we are only talking grams here), usually because the higher grade carbon means a little les material can be used at certain points on the frame. Having ridden/owned a fair few hi mod/non hi mod from different manfacturers I have found no real difference in ride quality between such frames.

IME once you get above the £3k mark for a complete bike the more you spend the more weight you can save through lighter components but that is about it, you don't get much more in the way of performance and durability, but others may feel differently.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    JAMIE4759 wrote:
    Hello all,

There seems to be various choices in relation to the different carbon used on frames. Trek for example offer the Domane and Emonda in both SLR and SL ranges, whilst Cannondale offer both Hi Mod and Non Hi Mod options. Realistically speaking, what are the differences between the high end and mid range frames? Surely, the ride qualities of the SLR and Hi Mod frames can be replicated by choosing higher end wheels and pairing them with the mid range frames such as the SL (Trek) and Non Hi Mod (Cannondale). Or, should the emphasis be when choosing a new steed be purely on the frame? There is an interesting podcast on VeloNews (ep. 29 "Future of bikes") where one of the speakers was asked what bike he would buy for $4500, and he replied "3x bikes for $1500" and he suggested buying good wheels. He basically suggested that buyers should look for a decent frame that fits and simply put the money into the wheels. I tend to think that if you are not racing at a high level, then consider the mid range options. Any views on this? Anyone else had the same queries?

I tend to agree with him. That's not to say that people shouldn't buy expensive high end stuff if that's what they want to do and if I had a lottery win I'd probably spunk 10 grand on something ridiculous, but you do wonder if some of these bikes offer anything in terms of real world benefits to the sort of person likely to buy them (dentists, stockbrokers etc).
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    The other thing to note is that occasionally, a hi mod type of frame can be subjectively stiffer than a non hi mod frame, citing that as an example. Same for SL non SL, sworks / fact 10 etc.

For some riders this is not good. Some frames can become overtly stiff for the rider where comfort can become an issue at the behest of speed. Not everyone wants the stiffest bike on the planet I would imagine.
  • rando
    rando Posts: 285
    Generally, the so called Hi Mod frames just use a slightly higher grade of carbon which allows for a lighter weight frame (we are only talking grams here), usually because the higher grade carbon means a little les material can be used at certain points on the frame. Having ridden/owned a fair few hi mod/non hi mod from different manfacturers I have found no real difference in ride quality between such frames.

IME once you get above the £3k mark for a complete bike the more you spend the more weight you can save through lighter components but that is about it, you don't get much more in the way of performance and durability, but others may feel differently.

Interested if you have ridden the Emonda SL & SLR then as currently debating between these 2 for a new summer bike.
    Do i go with the cheaper SL frame and get better wheels and SRAM Etap or the more expensive SLR frame with slightly cheaper wheels and maybe Di2 ?
    I have a Domane 5.2 now which would be SL level but fancy a less 'endurance' focussed bike hence looking at the Emonda.
    If anyone can confirm the Emonda SL would be slightly stiffer than my current Domane then I would get that and have better wheels/Etap.
  • kirkee
    kirkee Posts: 369
    Have a look at Luescher Tekniks videos on youtube, what the bloke doesn't know about carbon fiber in cycling applications probably isn't worth knowing. I think he answers the question of hi mod and other carbon used by makers, also cuts frames in half including a Cannondale on one vid.
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    I've had an SLR Edmonda, SL and ALR. I had the SLR for about 18 months only selling it towards end of last year thinking I was going to stop racing.
    I honestly think it was a huge difference between riding the SL and SLR. The SLR just felt fast, light and stiff, but every pothole or rough section of road was noticeable on the SLR. It wasn't harsh or off putting, but there was no soaking up of road buzz.
    The SL felt like any other bike, it's good, decent value, but nothing really special. The SLR just felt that bit more special, i would get one again at the drop of the hat.
    The weight of the SLR was stupid light, about 6.5 kgs for mine with fairly heavy 50mm deep wheels. The SL is about 7.5kgs with 35mm carbon wheels.
    I also have a 2017 Domane SL5, I think you can still get a decent position on the Domane but not as aggressive as the Emonda. My SLR was a H1 fit, nice and low.
    If money was no object then I think I would go with the Emonda SLR then upgrade wheels to a nice set of Aeolus 5. If money is a consideration the Emonda SL6 Pro comes with decent wheels as stock. Only upgrade that needs is nicer tyres.