Ultimate or Aeroad....and wheels

BobZo
BobZo Posts: 11
edited March 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

I'm new on this forum and like to dive right in with a burning first world problem kinda question :roll: .

I currently ride an 2009 Cervelo s1 size 58 (which fits me perfectly) and I'm looking for an upgrade road bike with disc brakes. Im 1.87cm tall and am 79/78 kg. I am thinking on a Canyon Aeroad size L or an Canyon Ultimate Size L. As I am used to my s1 size 58 I wonder if the Aeroad or the Ultimate would fit me better.

As for my riding style: I like to push it and ride alone for most of the time (occasional group ride). I live in the flattest country in the world, the Netherlands (can be windy at times).

I usually inbetween like 1 or 2 cm of spacers and ride a 11 cm stem with -6 degrees. The geometry of the 3 bikes are as follows:

Cervelo s1 in 58(current bike):
- Stack: 580
- Reach: 403

Ultimate size L:
- Stack: 592
- Reach: 399

Aeroad size L:
- Stack: 570

Another question I have concerns the wheels. the Ultimate comes with mavic cosmic 45mm deep wheels (UShape), the Aeroad has DT Swiss 62mm deep wheels (U Shape). I currently ride mavic cosmic elite alloy 30mm (Vshape) and am not used to these higher profile wheels. It can be windy in the Netherlands, but I have never had any trouble with my relatively shallow alloy wheels, should this influence my choice in any way?

Hope you guys (and ladies!) can help 8)

Bob :idea:

Comments

• mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    Hi bob

I had a cervelo s5 vwd before my aeroad and whilst is was relativly fast bike it was crap at going uphill felt completly square. Not something you will worry about.

Ive got an aeroad in large and for a out and out soeed bike its fabulous, much quicker than the cervelo and built to a much higher quality. My cervelo cracked and wasnt good at all, never have another one.

Ive had a fair few top end bikes and as you can tell im quite a canyon fan.

Go for the aeroad as it will be more fun and quicker. I will getting the new ultimate as next year i plan to ride some mountains again although the difference in climbing abilities between the two would be negligable with my performace. Buy what you like the look of.

Only drawback with canyons is the colours are very limited.

IMG_1461_zpsnxrn6xcx.jpg
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    That was my s5 good bike but ended up with a crack in it. Those bullet 80s i borrowed of my tt bike wnd slow to get up to speed but ok once rolling. Reynolds wheels are my favourite as they are strong. Ive never been knocked about with crosswinds as too heavy!

image.jpg1_zps6fmwwv5t.jpg
  • BobZo
    Thanks mallorcajeff,

Im still wondering About the geometry and if the aeroad or the ultimate Will fit me better. :roll: ...
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    Personally, I hate deep profiles in windy conditions. They scare the be jeezus out of me in a cross wind. I have the Mavic Cosmic ( 30 mm ) rims on one of my bikes, and even those get a bit ‘snatchy’ in a decent crosswind. As long as you can adjust to the characteristics of the deep rims in a crosswind, the advantages on the flat calm are worth putting up with.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    U shaped deep section wheels are fine in a cross wind, at 40-60 depth you won’t have an issue. I ride enve 4.5s all the time in the UK without any issue. Re ultimate or aero road, both are great bikes, for where you ride I’d probably go aero road given it’s so flat. My personally choice would be the ultimate with an aero bar on it.
  • milemuncher1
    Stueys wrote:
    U shaped deep section wheels are fine in a cross wind, at 40-60 depth you won’t have an issue. I ride enve 4.5s all the time in the UK without any issue. Re ultimate or aero road, both are great bikes, for where you ride I’d probably go aero road given it’s so flat. My personally choice would be the ultimate with an aero bar on it.

Go and ride with those rims on a high, exposed heath, in a 60-70 mph gusty cross wind, then come back and tell us about it.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Stueys wrote:

Go and ride with those rims on a high, exposed heath, in a 60-70 mph gusty cross wind, then come back and tell us about it.

I wouldn’t ride a bike in a 60-70mph wind, you wouldn’t keep it straight no matter what wheels you had on, it wouldn’t be the smartest thing to do.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I have ridden in 50 mph wind with shallower wheels and I could barely ride the bike. Gales blow you around regardless. Ridiculous in Paris on there. I shaped rims are fine or normal windy days even in 30moh wind no worse than a shallow rim.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I have ridden in 50 mph wind with shallower wheels and I could barely ride the bike. Gales blow you around regardless. U shaped rims are fine or normal windy days even in 30moh wind no worse than a shallow rim.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Stueys wrote:

Obvious statement of the year. I suppose you ride in 70mph winds all the time. Or are they just 35mph winds uploaded twice?
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    and what would we all learn from what he tells us? :roll:

PP
  • BobZo
    Thanks for all the input on the wheel depth guys.

Anyone experienced the difference between the Aeroad and the Ultimate, are the differences just marginal? I wonder what will fit me better...:

Ultimate size L:

Aeroad size L:
  • deano802
    deano802 Posts: 67
    edited January 2018
    Havn't ridden the aeroroad but my friend has one and said he will get ultimate next time as better all rounder. I took my new ultimate cf sl 9.0 aero out for first time today best of both worlds and great all rounder, my descending and cornering were much faster than my old alloy bike. Im 178cm and very happy I sized down to a small, so sharp in the corners and comfortable in terms of geometry. The country roads in the UK are really poor and I thought the comfort was impeccable. My first time on deep rims and they were fine but not very windy today. Sorry for obligatory pic!

9NlUhC.jpg
  • milemuncher1
    Stueys wrote:
    Stueys wrote:

I wouldn’t ride a bike in a 60-70mph wind, you wouldn’t keep it straight no matter what wheels you had on, it wouldn’t be the smartest thing to do.
    I wouldn’t deliberately do it, but I’ve been caught out a few times, it’s a case of leaning like you’re cornering, and praying the wind doesn’t suddenly drop off :lol:
  • BobZo
    Nice bike Deano802! Still questioning if the geometry difference bewteen the 2 bikes are that big, and which one more resembles my cervelo s1...:P?
  • BobZo

Ultimate size L:

Aeroad size L:

What coukd be the better fit I wonder .... anyonenany thoughts/experience?

Thanks!
  • Having ridden both, I'd pick the Ultimate every time and wouldn't ride 60mm wheels as my go-to set.

That being said, my experience of both is coloured by it having been in Mallorca, so I did enjoy the climbing and handling of the Ultimate more.

I'd also say the Ultimate was slightly more comfortable too, but there's so little difference in it that it's probably subjective.

If I sell my current aero bike (Scott Foil, which I really do love), the only race bikes I'd replace it with are either the Canyon or a Supersix.
  • BobZo
    Poptart242 wrote:
    Having ridden both, I'd pick the Ultimate every time and wouldn't ride 60mm wheels as my go-to set.

That being said, my experience of both is coloured by it having been in Mallorca, so I did enjoy the climbing and handling of the Ultimate more.

I'd also say the Ultimate was slightly more comfortable too, but there's so little difference in it that it's probably subjective.

If I sell my current aero bike (Scott Foil, which I really do love), the only race bikes I'd replace it with are either the Canyon or a Supersix.

Thanks for the info!

How noticeable was the geometry difference between the Aeroad and Ultimate?
  • BobZo wrote:
    Poptart242 wrote:
    Having ridden both, I'd pick the Ultimate every time and wouldn't ride 60mm wheels as my go-to set.

Thanks for the info!

Barely noticeable, to be honest. Overall I felt that to get the best from the Aeroad you'd have to cane it everywhere, whereas the Ultimate, while also brilliant when caning it on descents, was also good when pootling about on a recovery ride. Get the disc version and I dare say it would be versatile enough to do pretty much everything you'd want on a road bike.
  • Poptart242 wrote:
    BobZo wrote:
    Poptart242 wrote:

Thanks for the info!

Barely noticeable, to be honest. Overall I felt that to get the best from the Aeroad you'd have to cane it everywhere, whereas the Ultimate, while also brilliant when caning it on descents, was also good when pootling about on a recovery ride. Get the disc version and I dare say it would be versatile enough to do pretty much everything you'd want on a road bike.

As mentioned before I have not ridden aeroroad, the ultimate geometry is as far as I could go in terms of comfort considering I almost went for an endurace, ultimate is 1cm longer and lower. But i agree with above, the ultimate disc to me really is the ultimate bike, I feel I can do anything on it whether it's race or epic endurance even though I probably won't do either! But with my aero spec I do want to clip on some bars and have a go at some tt's. I also found the sizing really matters, I was inbetween small and medium, I sized down and feel I have a much racier bike with much sharper handling.

By the way where are you from in holland? My gf is from Eext, quite a quiet place compared to London!
  • BobZo
    Deano802 wrote:
    Poptart242 wrote:
    BobZo wrote:
    Poptart242 wrote:

Thanks for the info!

As mentioned before I have not ridden aeroroad, the ultimate geometry is as far as I could go in terms of comfort considering I almost went for an endurace, ultimate is 1cm longer and lower. But i agree with above, the ultimate disc to me really is the ultimate bike, I feel I can do anything on it whether it's race or epic endurance even though I probably won't do either! But with my aero spec I do want to clip on some bars and have a go at some tt's. I also found the sizing really matters, I was inbetween small and medium, I sized down and feel I have a much racier bike with much sharper handling.

By the way where are you from in holland? My gf is from Eext, quite a quiet place compared to London!

Thanks for the info!

Im from Utrecht, Nice city in the centre of Holland:)
  • BobZo
    All thanks for the input Guys! Im thinking on buying the Ultimate disc with aero wheels and handlebars.

Sizingwise: as im 1,87 meter and currently ride my good fitting Cervelo s1 2009 size 58 I think Ill go for a Large and hope to #slamthatstem;)!
  • BobZo wrote:
    All thanks for the input Guys! Im thinking on buying the Ultimate disc with aero wheels and handlebars.

Sizingwise: as im 1,87 meter and currently ride my good fitting Cervelo s1 2009 size 58 I think Ill go for a Large and hope to #slamthatstem;)!

Great choice :wink: let us know how you get on.
  • Any thoughts on the choice between the Ultimate SL grade frame vs the SLX grade? Is the price hike worth it do you think?
  • DMHR2018 wrote:
    Any thoughts on the choice between the Ultimate SL grade frame vs the SLX grade? Is the price hike worth it do you think?

For me it wasn't, I would like to have a lighter bike but I couldn't justify the money. But saying that if I had the money available I would buy the slx just because. Everyone including the bike radar review says impossible to tell difference once on the bike.
  • BobZo
    I would go for the Sl version, SLX is only a faction lighter and differnece is not noticable ive heard. SL is more bang for buck I think, also Colors are beter;)
  • BobZo
    I went for the Ultimate cf Sl aero, 2 rides Done: very impressed:) and happy. Its a very stiff and composed ride :D
  • deano802
    deano802 Posts: 67
    BobZo wrote:
    I went for the Ultimate cf Sl aero, 2 rides Done: very impressed:) and happy. Its a very stiff and composed ride :D

Cool, what colour did you get and did you get discs?

I've only got a few rides in this year as weather been so bad but really happy. For me the best thing has been the handling, I went a size down and it is so sharp and fast in the corners and descending.