Tyre advice

NorwichDan
NorwichDan Posts: 18
edited January 2018 in MTB beginners
I am having great fun maintaining fitness with my mates this winter taking a break from my usual road rides and using a network of cycle ways and bridal paths with road use where required to join them up. The 29er hardtail I am using has racing Ralph tyres on it performance compound. My question is this they roll well on the road and I can keep up with my mates on cx bikes okay. Off road they seem to just have no grip the tracks we use are often muddy this time of year or wet sand. Can anyone suggest a tyre combo that will give me more grip but maintain the easy roll? Or are my tyres actually good and I need to get better at riding off road? I understand the two are not mutually exclusive and won’t be offended.
Thanks in advance

Comments

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Weaving around all those women in white dresses on bridal paths must be a pain, that's why I stick to bridlepaths.

You could try some Rocket Rons, they roll fast with more grip and are lightweight. Otherwise you're into the land of more substantial rubber with less rolling on hardpack and roads.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    The performance compound that Schwalbe use is good in the dry but absolute pants when it's wet and muddy.
    If you want to stick to Schwalbe tyres then Rocket Rons are better for off-road grip but make sure you get the better Evolution compound.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Ha ha definitely no brides. Amount of mud I come home covered in they’d not stay white for long. I’m not really worried about which brand I use more horses for courses. Would Ron’s be for the front or front and rear? I use conti tyres on the road are their mtb tyres any good or maxxis. It’s like a new world with far to many choices.
  • slc123
    slc123 Posts: 407
    I've ran a set of Maxxis Ardent tyres for the last 2 years and they've been pretty good all round including muddy trails. They aren't the best for road riding.

After much deliberation and research, i've decided to stick with Maxxis on my new bike build and go for a Minion DHF on the front and HR II on the back!
    Cannondale Trail 27.5 | 2015
    Titus El Chulo 27.5 | 2017
    Trek Slash 9 27.5 | 2015 (building)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As above, the performance compound is horrid in the wet.

For anything muddy, you need tread that digs through to the harder surface below and finds grip, that will always be draggier on road, all tyre manufacturers have a range of tyres, so for an XC bike the Schwable range starts with the Nobby Nic as the most aggressive, then the Rocket Ron, then your Ralph and then onwards through even lower threaded tyres.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    Yep ralph is fine for a rear tyre for me but I find it a bit sketchy for a front, where I use a Ron.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I have had the same issue as the OP with most. tyres.

Tyres that have worked for me are Vittoria/Geax Saguro tubulars (no idea if the the clincher tyre is as good) but the best I have tried for wet grip is the IRC Serrac XC. no mud wants to stick and it grips wet greasy road/roundabout and other slimey off road trails better than most other tyres I have have used. downside is its narrow but in mud that an advantage. They roll pretty well too.

Most conti are so so in the wet better than crap but not great either.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Thanks all for the feedback will try a Rocket Ron’s in the evo compound on the front and leave the Ralph on the back as it’s the front end I don’t want to be too sketchy I can manage the back end okay its when the front lets go it’s curtains.