Prologo Nack VS Tirox rails and comfort

naavt
naavt Posts: 226
edited October 2019 in Road buying advice
I'm interested in a Prologo Dimension but having some difficulty of choosing between both versions: Nack and Tirox.

Because of that I've decided to contact Prologo directly and ask them for their own perspective on both saddles (that only differ on rail materials).

Asked them about comfort from both saddles but had no response on that matter. Instead, they had replied with some technical info about their rail construction that can probably - or not - shed some light into this matter.

Here's what they have emailed me:

"In answer about your questions:
- Nack rail (7x9.3mm) is composed by carbon fibers, aluminum filaments and Kevlar, treated with the production process called "Braided Carbon Rail" for obtain a perfect fusion between them. The result is a balance structure and resistance to penetration, that guarantees maximum rigidity and lightness to the saddle.
- Tirox (7mm) is a light-alloy steel rail. Used in aviation and aerospace industry, resistant to traction, it's a good balance between weight and strength.
- The different between the 2 saddle in weight terms is about 30gr: the Dimension Nack is 149gr (more performant), while for Tirox version is 179gr."

So I'm putting a light bike together, but I'm more than ready to put an extra 30g if the Tirox saddle ends up being more comfortable.

Any experienced users of both Prologo materials? And the other folks out there. What do you all think about this?

Comments

• mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Have you ridden the saddle? The last thing I'd worry about is what version, there will be very little in it regarding comfort. For example if you didn't find the Tirox one comfortable there's no way on earth you would find the Nack one comfortable. The saddle will suit you or it won't.

(Yes, I've owned Ti and Nack versions of one of the Prologo saddles and could tell no difference in comfort or feel).

If money is not an issue and you want it to be light, get the Nack. If you're buying the saddle at random and haven't tried it then you are entering a bit of an arse lottery.
  • naavt
    mfin wrote:
    Have you ridden the saddle? The last thing I'd worry about is what version, there will be very little in it regarding comfort. For example if you didn't find the Tirox one comfortable there's no way on earth you would find the Nack one comfortable. The saddle will suit you or it won't.

Yes. Rode one friends Tirox for some kms. The shape is very very similar to my Selle Italia, albeit shorter and that’s why I’m interested in it.
  • naavt
    For what is worth, here's what Prologo answer me the second time:

"Carbon rail is surely more rigid than Tirox rail. The last one has a little bit more of flexibility, so always in this case the comfort should be more.
    I hope this help you."
  • RyanB
    RyanB Posts: 116
    I have the Nack on my summer bike and the Tirox on my winter bike and have happily ridden both for the last 3 years.
    I can honestly say I notice ZERO difference between either of them.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    naavt wrote:
    For what is worth, here's what Prologo answer me the second time:

"Carbon rail is surely more rigid than Tirox rail. The last one has a little bit more of flexibility, so always in this case the comfort should be more.
    I hope this help you."

That's probably any old person answering in any old fashion, I doubt anyone at the company has measured the flexibility of one of the rails against the other. If someone has measured it, you won't get that information and it won't be information they will have to hand or that would make much sense. Somebody's just saying something to you so that a reply has gone out I expect.

In reality you are just overthinking the choice between the two. Just go based on whatever weight/price/aesthetics matter to you.
  • naavt
    mfin wrote:
    That's probably any old person answering in any old fashion, I doubt anyone at the company has measured the flexibility of one of the rails against the other. If someone has measured it, you won't get that information and it won't be information they will have to hand or that would make much sense. Somebody's just saying something to you so that a reply has gone out I expect.

In reality you are just overthinking the choice between the two. Just go based on whatever weight/price/aesthetics matter to you.

That is probably the sensible answer and I think you are right. That coupled with RyanB's insight bellow...
    RyanB wrote:
    I have the Nack on my summer bike and the Tirox on my winter bike and have happily ridden both for the last 3 years.
    I can honestly say I notice ZERO difference between either of them.

...Made me go for the Nack version. Thanks.
  • naavt
    So... New news about this matter (carbon VS alloy saddle)

Quoted from road.cc review written a couple of days ago http://road.cc/content/review/235288-prologo-dimension-nack-saddle

"For the amount of padding that the Dimension Nack uses, it is quite a lightweight saddle: 157g (149g claimed) to be precise.

To achieve this, it uses a fair amount of carbon fibre in its construction, like the main body. This is 5mm thick, and unlike a lot of other saddle shells isn't very flexible at all.

The same can be said for the rails; normally you can get a little give here, but not with the Nack."

Sent another email to Prologo to ask if the shell in both saddles are the same, but after that review I'm inclined to ditch the Nack and go for Tirox instead.
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    I have both the nack and tirox versions of the Dimension and can find no difference between them while riding. The base of he Torx saddle is the same as the nack version. They are both made using carbon fibre and look identical to each other. The padding is also identical, the only difference is the rails.