Specialized Camber vs Cannondale Habit vs Trek Fuel

ajcn
ajcn Posts: 2
edited January 2018 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys,

I am trying to buy a new FS bike and I've narrowed down to three choices so far, based on current needs, specs, but also current deals at my LBS or on the Net, those would be:

- Specialized Camber FSR Comp Carbon 29 2017, actually retailing at 2.300€ at my LBS, heavily discounted from 3.700€ as launch price last year: https://www.specialized.com/lt/en/cambe ... x/p/118380

This is of course a carbon bike, somewhat between the XC and Trail spectrums (120mm/120mm) which would match more or less my rides, which happen to be mostly in loose and muddy terrain with many roots, with steep climbs followed but quick descents, neither of them really long, and not much rocky terrain. I do love the climbs as well so that would be important.

Pros: carbon, dropper, swat
Cons: 2x drivetrain, no boost, not so modern geometry

- Cannondale Habit Carbon SE 2017, actually retailing at 2.300€ at https://www.rutlandcycling.com/bikes/mo ... ple_372260 , heavily discounted as well.

Another carbon bike also in the same category as the Camber above, 120mm/130mm.

Pros: carbon, dropper, modern geometry?
Cons: no boost, that colour???

- And finally, a Trek Fuel EX 7 2017 retailing at 2.100 at my LBS, down from 2.500€: http://www.mbr.co.uk/reviews/full-suspe ... -29-review

Now, this in not a carbon but an ALU bike, significantly heavier than the two above (2-3 pounds I guess), and probably underspecced when compared to the ones above, however it is a more "modern" bike, in terms of geometry (slacker, boost). This 2017 model also sports a Shimano 2x drivetrain which would be the only drawback so far together with the weight for climbing.

Pros: carbon, boost, dropper, modern geometry
Cons: specs, weight

Any advice?

Thanks in advance and best regards
Toni

Comments

• JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    The Trek has the better reviews so I would say the Trek. I own an older Camber and the geo although not fashionably slack and long is very well suited to the type of riding you want to do, especially climbing.

You can add a shorter stem and wider bars to the Specialized which will make a difference.

End of day either the Trek or Camber, both great bikes, just weigh up the specs.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Don't buy a Trek without a test ride. Some people love their rear suspension, others find it awful. It's a bit of a personal preference thing.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    The Camber gets my vote.
    Rode a mate's a few months ago and really liked it.

As RMSC says, the Trek rear suspension is a bit Marmite. I really wanted a Trek a couple of years ago but a test ride soon changed my mind.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Another who has ridden Trek and doesn’t like it, that said I ride with 3 people with Treks (2 of them are multi bike owners) and they all like the feeling.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Some love Treks rear suspension and technically it's excellent but if like me and the two above, you don't like it then it feels awful.