Chainset troubles; what are my options please?...

ngm82
ngm82 Posts: 6
edited January 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, I'm new to the forum, and as you will gather, not too hot on bike repair knowledge... but I'm trying to learn.

I have just replaced the chain and cassette on my "2009 Cannondale F5 disc"
http://www.thebikelist.co.uk/cannondale/f5-2009
It was going well on the stand, and to start with on the test ride, but when i turned uphill and put it the bottom chainring I got massive "chain-suck".
So I was wondering if this definitely means I need new chainring(s), and if so, can they be fitted separately to the chainset, which is listed as a "TRUVATIV FIVE D3.1, 22/32/44", and if so, what makes will be compatible?
If they can't then i guess I will have to replace the whole chainset, so which makes will be compatible there also please? I understand it's to do with the bottom bracket type, so any help on finding out this would also be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Comments

• FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Take it in logical steps. You get chain suck in the bottom geear - do you mean the biggest cog on the casette or the smallest.

Did you size the chain correctly - that is put it round big at the back, big at the front and 2 links then cut? Is it actually chain suck or is it falling off the side of the cassette? Dis you index the gears after replacing them this? Was the casette identical to the one you replaced? Was the chain 9 speed for 9 gears or did you get the wrong one?

I've listed some issues because going down a path of replacing a cranksett, BB and so on is just not needed. Have a look at these and let us know? Plenty of good mechanics on this site - certainly better than me!
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • ngm82
    Cassette and chain swapped like for like, indexing is fine.
    Chain is being 'grabbed' by smallest front chairing, and not releasing as it turns.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    FishFish wrote:
    Take it in logical steps. You get chain suck in the bottom geear - do you mean the biggest cog on the casette or the smallest.

The OP clearly states the bottom chainring is causing the issue.

The problem suggests the granny ring is worn and needs replacing. Looking at pictures of that chainset it looks like the chain rings are replaceable. Just check the BCD - 64mm when you buy a replacement.

This should be suitable.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • ngm82
    JBA wrote:
    The problem suggests the granny ring is worn and needs replacing. Looking at pictures of that chainset it looks like the chain rings are replaceable. Just check the BCD - 64mm when you buy a replacement.

This should be suitable.

Nice one, thanks. Amazon had the same one for a tenner, so i've ordered it. Thought I might as well do the middle one too while I'm at it.
    Took the crank arms off and then realised I could have just got the rings off. Never mind, it's given me a chance to clean and grease some places i wouldn't usually.
    Hope the arms go back on easily.... if not, I'll be back!