Rapha pro bibs sizing--too big in the crotch?

rbullock_nyla
rbullock_nyla Posts: 3
edited January 2018 in Road buying advice
Not me, but the shorts: they're too roomy down there! I'm let's say averagely endowed and do just fine in Assos or Giordana FRC say but I just picked up a pair of Rapha Pro bib shorts in a medium and was very surprised by this. They're non refundable so I'll put them in the wash, but have other readers/riders had this experience?

Comments

• Why are they non refundable? And which PT bib shorts did you buy?
  • paulmon
    paulmon Posts: 315
    I've had numerous iterations of the PT bibs and never found them to be too generous in the crotch. That said I size down a size or two from what they recommend so generally wear S or XS when normally I'm a medium.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    I suggest you start carrying a small bunch of grapes inside the front of your shorts. Not only will they fill the excess space and make your bulge look more impressive to passers by, but you will also have a tasty snack available if you become hungry.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    Why are they non refundable? And which PT bib shorts did you buy?

My guess is because they've been worn.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • matt_n-2
    matt_n-2 Posts: 581
    Did you use them on the bike?

If you've just tried them on and have the packaging then you should be able to send them back, Rapha are normally pretty reasonable with returns, for example if you buy any of the Classics range you get a no quibble 30 day period to try them, not happy just return them.
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
    Italian steel winter hack
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    All my PT bibs / tights are a large and all are a perfect fit, apart from my lightweight PT bibs which are saggy in the balls. Very strange.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • Hi, thank you all for your quick replies, and for launching just one of the expected jokes (OK, the topic deserves at least one). They were new--the Pro lightweight bib shorts -- but I bought them on Ebay, from a seller who doesn't take returns. Everything else about them fits fine, it's just the crotch that seems out of proportion. I've never had Rapha shorts, am a medium in Assos, and assumed that a Pro cut would be if anything a bit on the tight side. At 6' and 165 lbs, should I be a small then?
  • ryan_w-2
    Well it appears it’s just the PT lightweight bibs.

Mine are like new and only worn twice due to this.

It’s almost as thought the thinner material isnt as elastic as the normal / winter bibs.

• How do Rapha size up compared to say Castelli where you have to go up a size?

Apologies for the slight thread derail...
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    BigMitch41 wrote:
    How do Rapha size up compared to say Castelli where you have to go up a size?

Apologies for the slight thread derail...
    In my experience Rapha is 1/2 a size bigger than Castelli.
    If your Castelli is loose go down a size from there, if it is tight get the same size.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ryan_w-2
    I’m a large in Rapha. XL in Castelli.

6ft, 88kg.

• w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    My lightweight pro team bib shorts are fairly tight in the crotch area, and I'm not the biggest.
    Size small bibs, 5 foot 8, 66kgs. I'm also a size small in castelli but strangely find the rapha tighter.

Is the material thinner on the Pro Team lightweight bibs? Feels pretty much the same, just different straps? I can't tell the difference anyhow.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    BigMitch41 wrote:
    How do Rapha size up compared to say Castelli where you have to go up a size?

I'm XL in Rapha ProTeam and Castelli but L in general Rapha kit.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Forum’s getting restrained... :D

I find the pro team bibs slightly tight in the crotch if anything, I run L in pro team and L in castelli, though the castelli stuff comes up tighter. I have noticed the Rapha sizing to be a bit variable of late, maybe worth pinging them an email and seeing what they say? CS is normally epic in my experience.
  • Thanks for the reply's chaps :)
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube