Shimano 105 5800 > ...R7000?

jp4urio
jp4urio Posts: 16
edited January 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

I'm wondering if any of you kindly have any insight into the upcoming refresh of the 105 5800 groupset?

My plan has been to pick up a groupo with a bonus in March, in time for the summer sportives. However it occurred to me that this generation was released in 2015, so will likely be refreshed this summer.

My questions if anyone is able to share insight are is this timeline correct and if so, are there likely to be discounts for new old 5800 stock (how much do they tend to drop on the release of new series?).

Thanks guys!

Ben

Comments

• I still haven't seen many discounts on 6800 despite R8000 being available. Ultimately then I bought the new R8000 as the price was not that overly more expensive (Sale price plus an extra 10% discount) than the outgoing 6800.

I'd expect the R5800 to follow a similar path....
  • jp4urio
    Cheers, much appreciated.

That's interesting, I'd hoped they would come down a bit. That rather changes the focus to, as you say, waiting out for the new model...
  • 105 5800 was introduced on 1 April 2015, stock isn't usually widely available until around 4-5 months later. I'd expect the upcoming 105 groupset to follow a similar timeline when it is announced this year (I would expect between April-June).
  • It takes a while for the pricing to settle down too. Originally when R8000 came out, it was £800!!

I got mine for ~ £550-600, and I think (haven't looked for a while) that the best price, at present, is probably going to be ~£625-650...
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    And R8000 is on madison for £500+VAT without the bb so that's poo.It takes a little while for stock to filter through to all the bike companies that sell it cheap.

R7000 is speculative at this point. Shimano may or may not release it this year. 3 year for a product cycle is rather short.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    OP, Shimano 105 5800 is a very very good groupset.

5800 can be bought for £300-350 and I would be very surprised if the price dropped much when it is eventually replaced. Ultegra R8000 was priced at £800 (ish) when it was launched as the replacement/upgrade to Ultegra 6800, yet the 6800 stayed at the price it had fallen to, and still remains around that price now.
  • jp4urio
    Thanks guys, really appreciate the response.

R8000 as excellent the reviews are (and as awesome it looks, brakes in particular) I can't stretch to.

Redvision your comment cemented the decision for me, one groupo on route. Dry January man maths totally justifies an early purchase :D