run 11-30 on 105 5800 SS?

chatlow
chatlow Posts: 845
edited January 2018 in Workshop
Is this possible on my 11 speed 105 setup? Reading it should handle up to 28t but I've been running the 10 speed SS 105 with 12-30 for a year without issues..

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    chatlow wrote:
    Is this possible on my 11 speed 105 setup? Reading it should handle up to 28t but I've been running the 10 speed SS 105 with 12-30 for a year without issues..

Can't see why not.
    Like you I ran a 12-30 cassette on my 10-speed 5700 set up with an SS rear derailleur. Required a bit of b-screw tweaking but it worked fine. Don't think the design of the RD has changed to accommodate 11-speed cassettes so I would guess you would get away with 11-30 OK.
    As above you might need to make adjustments to the B-screww and it would also be wise to make sure your chain length is accurate for that combo
  • edward.s
    edward.s Posts: 221
    On my Genesis Equilibrium I am happily running an 11-32 with a short cage mech, just with the B-screw twiddled. For some reason of frame/dropout/wheel geometry the same setup on my Charge Plug 3 doesn't work crisply and even one of those 'dropout extender' thingies didn't work - i ended up just getting a long cage mech.

So, 'it depends, try it' is propably the best answer I can give! sorry!
  • chatlow
    chatlow Posts: 845
    thanks - I half expected the 'try it' approach to be honest. Will give it a shot. Worst case scenario is a new medium cage RD.
  • kingdav
    kingdav Posts: 417
    I run a larger than spec cassette with an old sram red 10sp rear mech. It may not be as elegant as a road-link but I read that a washer on the bolt between the mech and the hanger would increase the clearance (probably here http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... p?t=136400), just pulls the mech away from the cassette a touch. I had to file the washer down a tiny bit to fit against the mech, but it did work a charm and might be worth a go if B-screw adjustment alone doesn't quite manage it. Make sure to have plenty of mech attachment bolt in the hanger though, this isn't for adding a huge extra range with a stack of washers.