Mech modification to get good shifting on 50-11t Sunrace 11s cassette

davee128
davee128 Posts: 27
edited January 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm trying to get good shifting from a Sunrace 50t-11t 11s cassette with SLX M7000-11-GS mech. With enough b-tension it clears the largest sprocket no problem, but the shifting isn't great due to excessive free chain length between jockey pulley and cassette on smaller sprockets, chain wrap is a bit low, and when you switch the clutch on shifting isn't good enough at all.

I'm considering the Goat Link 11s, Wolf Tooth Components say it will improve shifting but don't recommend it for 50t with an XT mech as they weren't satisfied with performance. They recommend the Wolf Cage with XT or XTR mechs for 49t cassettes, but I don't think it fits the SLX mech.

As the SLX mech has the highest Shimano max sprocket size to begin with (46t), I'm hoping the goat link will be sufficient, but can't find any info from someone who's tried it.

It seems strange that the cassette is sold for use on non-XD drivechains but there are no Shimano mechs that work properly with it! The compatibility chart that Sumrace provide seems to be nonsense as it includes one SLX mech which doesn't exist - M7000-11-SGS!

Thanks for any help.

And before anyone asks, yes, the gear range really is needed!

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You need a modified cage, the goat link (and copies) provide a fixed offset, the modified cage doesn't as the guide wheel moves relative to the cassette as the cage goes forward and back.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I can't find a cage that fits the mech. I was hoping that as I only need 4t extra on the max sprocket, that the goat link might be adequate. It reduces the B-tension needed, so I suspect it may improve the angle of the cage on the smaller sprockets. It's quite hard to visualise the exact effect of the change in mech position.

Anyone know of a suitable cage for the SLX 11 speed?
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    do One Up not make one for shimano 11 speed rear derailleurs?

I have one on my xtr 10 speed and it works great with an 11-42t cassette.