Bike Box - thoughts please

cld531c
cld531c Posts: 517
edited January 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi
Im looking to get my first bike box. Prefer a hard case but dont want to spend mega money.
The Planet X one looks pretty good but there are no reviews (I think its a new product).
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BAPXBIBO/ ... x-bike-box
Anyone got the Planet X one? Thoughts on it? Any alternatives I should consider?
Thanks

Comments

• Looks ok, I've got an older BBA so the crush pole looks rather interesting, it has a pull along handle which is useful. Not sure how robust those fasteners or hinges are though.
    One thing I would like is ability to take 2 sets of wheels.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • After having bought a cheap hard case and having a bad experience I have never looked back since buying my BikeBoxAlan which isn't the cheapest but it is brilliant. Never heard anything bad about them.....
  • I have never looked back since buying my BikeBoxAlan

Wouldn't trust my bike to travel in anything else!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    How many trips are you looking at? 5, 10 15, more?
    My budget one has been good but starting to fail after 12 flights and since I am planning more I realise that I should have just got a BB Alan in the first place.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,125
    my bba has nearly 30 flights so far, a few gouges/scrapes on it but otherwise fine, the majority of bike boxes i see at airports are also bba

the px one looks like one of those that, ahem, borrow heavily from the bba design

it's almost 3kg heavier than a bba, that's a pretty heavy bike box

my frame is large and only just fits a bba, but there's bags of room to stash tools, helmet, bottles, gels, spare tubs etc., the px doesn't look quite as roomy to me, but with them being irregular shapes it's really hard to be sure

if you are considering the px one i'd download the manual and do some measuring

i had a look at the manual, it lacks any pictures of a real bike packed in it, a strange omission, and the way they describe packing the wheels seems wrong to me

https://www.planetx.co.uk/files/px/imag ... l_V1P0.pdf

tbh without some positive independent reviews of the px, i'd get a bba, it's a well tested design and resale value stays high
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    Yep bike box alan is the way to go, buy a used one as no point in a new one will only get scratched on first teip. Mines been to australia and hong kong numerous times. Needs a new wheel now but that was my fault pushing it up a quarter mile gravel drive many times
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    As everyone said, BBA. There’s a reason we all have them! They hold their value as well
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Another up for the BBA. Had another hard she'll bike box that disintegrated and the bike was damaged. BBA has done me proud over 30+ flights. Weight is great as I haven't had trouble coming in below the 23kg that BA and some airlines have as their limit.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    How much travel do you do ? Renting may be better.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    Buy or rent a bike box Alan. Anyone who suggests anything else is wrong.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • cld531c
    Thanks all - will have a look for a BBA second hand. Will be first trip away with the bike but hopefully first of many.
    My frame is only small so should be able to fit it in any box I would guess.
    Thanks again
  • cld531c
    oooh they do a pink one :-)
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    Lifeline one from Wiggle

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-eva-bi ... -one-size/

Serious bargain.
  • cld531c
    Lifeline one from Wiggle

Serious bargain.

Really want a fully hard case, but thanks. Does any one happen to have a discount code for Sigma Sport (nothing showing up second hand at the mo but no great rush unless I can grab a bargain)?
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    The Velo-vault is supposed to be on a par with the BBA - similar price though....
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • I have never looked back since buying my BikeBoxAlan

Guy on a trip I went on last year had a Buxum box. Looked awesome (but £700).
  • cld531c
    I have never looked back since buying my BikeBoxAlan

Guy on a trip I went on last year had a Buxum box. Looked awesome (but £700).

Thats a bit out of my budget!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    That’s the thing with bike boxes, there’s something for every budget / bike type really. I don’t travel with the bike very often, I only need one for destinations over about 170 miles. Even then I would very rarely not be able to reach where I was going by Coach or train or car. The bikes that do go on trips like that, would be my main ‘mileage’ bikes anyway, so I don’t need to put them in a fancy armoured / fully solid box.

If I ever did require something more substantial, I don’t do enough trips to warrant buying a decent one, so renting would work for me, if I ever did need to. The BBA boxes are very good, they even do a version that comes with a tracker, that is removable from the box, and attatchable to your bike.
    They are British made as well, which is a bonus.
  • pblakeney
    Lifeline one from Wiggle

Serious bargain.
    Very similar to the one I got, for even less. A very good box for the money, but for a limited number of return flights. 6 so far for me, will do 7, but I doubt much more than that.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • cld531c wrote:
    oooh they do a pink one :-)

I've got a pink BBA! :D
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Another vote for the BBA.

I rented one for £60 for the week including delivery/ pick up. Over the next few years the price went up to nearer £100 for the week. At that point I decided that the £400odd to buy one made more sense.

I have since used it for 5 trips and loaned it to two mates for their use, each one has bunged me £20 vouchers for Evans/ Chainreaction etc which will cover the eventual repairs such as wheels etc.

Well worth the investment and the sturdiest box on the market in my opinion. As an airline pilot I see just how bags/ freight/ sporting goods are handled by ground agents every day. Sometimes the handling could do with a bit more care ;-)

Remember, you may get away with a cardboard box (as many people do) again and again, but it only takes one ‘mishandling’ incident for your pride and joy to be left in a couple of bits on the carousel...

PP
  • froze
    froze Posts: 213
    I know this sounds like sour grapes but if I was flying somewhere I would rent a bike when I got there. Airlines are known to lose baggage and a bike is considered luggage. Also bike luggage bags look like...well bike luggage bags, and thiefs monitor the belts for these sort of bags and will steal it off the belt fast. I've known several guys who have traveled to other countries with their bikes, besides putting it on the airline, one guy sent his via UPS or FedEx (I can't recall which he used) to the motel where he was going to be staying, though he first called the staff to get permission to do that. Another guy bought a used bike when he got to where he was going with the idea of selling it when he was done but he liked the bike so much he sent it home. So there are options.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Bags do get lost but it is much rarer than perceived. And as for a bike box, I think that would be an even rarer incident as they are significantly easier to spot than a black Samsonite wheely suitcase! The theft issue is a possibility although I have never heard of it happening - remember, the thief would have to be ‘airside’ in baggage reclaim, so either a travelling passenger of a n other flight or staff (who could nick it from aircraft all the way through to baggage reclaim if they have access to the parking ramp, which is restricted to certain pass holders and controlled). CCTV abounds at airports so anyone nicking a bike box would be identifiable with a bit of investigation - and it is not quite the same as rifling through a suitcase and nicking a few valuables like cash, iPads, jewellery etc - we are talking a bike box here!

So I think you are over-playing the risk with regards theft especially when saying that “thieves monitor baggage belts and nick things sharpish”, although I concede it is theoretically possible and I wouldn’t want to be on the end of it trying to get local law enforcement to do their job.

Rental is an option, as is buying one locally, I don’t think anyone has intimated that they are not, but remember the OP asked about bike boxes...

The convenience of riding your own pride and joy rather than a hire bike will often outweigh renting whatever is available locally. Having said that it does depend on what bike you own - if you have a top end machine you will really want to be riding that. If however you have a bike with a much lower spec than the local hire bikes, it may be the ideal opportunity to ride a better bike and try out something like eTap or Di2.

Do remember though, if you have your bike set up with the traditional UK spec for brakes (rear left, front right) and you look to hire locally somewhere in Europe, the chances are it will be set up in the continental style with the levers the opposite way round. Having done this I found that I adapted, even though it felt weird, but had a few hairy moments when hard braking was required on hairpin descents due to reverting to muscle memory! :shock:

As for planning a cycling trip and thinking you will buy a bike when you get there - well, that’s brave in my opinion :shock: unless you order exactly what you want from a local shop beforehand AND ensure that it has been delivered and is waiting for you when you arrive. As for buying second hand and getting a bike that fits, is mechanically sound and ready to do a hard week or so of riding...that’s even braver or you have to compromise massively (just think saddle if nothing else!) :lol:

I always take my own pride and joy... :wink:

PP
  • froze wrote:
    Also bike luggage bags look like...well bike luggage bags, and thiefs monitor the belts for these sort of bags and will steal it off the belt fast.

I've only flown with my bike three times (if for only a day or two, I'll hire - if I'm riding 500 miles I want my bike). Every time, I have been at the oversize luggage belt before the bike has arrived. I think you worry too much.

And each time in a bag with no issues at all, other than it takes a bit longer to reconstruct because of the bubble wrap I put around it.
  • harry-s
    harry-s Posts: 295
    I believe there are some companies that will pick your bike up and deliver it to your destination for you, (although I'm basing this on flyers/spam I've received over the years). This arrangement would take a lot of hassle out of the whole thing, - anyone with experience of using these companies? Personally, I'd definitely consider it for Europe, second choice would be BBA hire, and then BBA purchase.
  • cld531c
    Thanks all
    Will be a BBA, just need to decide on colour and maybe see if I can get an offer code.
    I dont want a hire bike, as Im quite fussy about my position. ALso really dont need to buy a bike on holiday, have a garage full already :-)
  • cld531c
    Harry-S wrote:
    I believe there are some companies that will pick your bike up and deliver it to your destination for you, (although I'm basing this on flyers/spam I've received over the years). This arrangement would take a lot of hassle out of the whole thing, - anyone with experience of using these companies? Personally, I'd definitely consider it for Europe, second choice would be BBA hire, and then BBA purchase.

I looked at this, they charge you a day or two before you go and the same after, basically would costs about £100-150 for a week. I suspect I could buy a box and even if I never used it again sell it on and be no worse off. Also, having my own box will mean taking the bike away is just the baggage charge extra so Im hoping to take it when I wouldnt ordinarily, even if I just get two or three rides.
  • pblakeney
    cld531c wrote:
    Also, having my own box will mean taking the bike away is just the baggage charge extra so Im hoping to take it when I wouldnt ordinarily, even if I just get two or three rides.
    I got a pleasant surprise a couple of years ago flying KLM. My BB is small enough that if I kept it under 23kg it counted as my checked luggage and went for free! 8)
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • PBlakeney wrote:
    cld531c wrote:
    Also, having my own box will mean taking the bike away is just the baggage charge extra so Im hoping to take it when I wouldnt ordinarily, even if I just get two or three rides.
    I got a pleasant surprise a couple of years ago flying KLM. My BB is small enough that if I kept it under 23kg it counted as my checked luggage and went for free! 8)

British Airways is the same. Keep yourself to only cabin luggage for clothes, and no additional baggage charge.
  • pblakeney
    PBlakeney wrote:
    cld531c wrote:

British Airways is the same. Keep yourself to only cabin luggage for clothes, and no additional baggage charge.
    Cyclists should remember this when flying "budget" airlines.
    Veronese68 wrote: