mix of cassette

chatlow
chatlow Posts: 848
edited January 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi,

Currently run 105 11-28 11 speed cassettes on my propel for both my road wheel and training wheel (indoor turbo).

I want to up it to 11-30 for the road, but keep using the 11-28 for indoor use. Would that cause any problems? I'm hearing the standard short cage 105 RD should handle it, although officially they don't.

Other than maybe needing one extra link, I'm hoping it works.

Thanks,

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Not sure abut RD side but chain may not mesh brilliantly dependant on how many miles its done on the old cassette. Easily solved by swapping chains over using a quick link - 30 second job.

Also may need to tweak the rear mech for shifting perfection.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    I’ve got a 105 5700 set up on one of my bikes, with a 50-34 compact Chainset, an 11-30 cassette, a 114 link chain, and a medium cage RD. It works just fine, there’s a couple of millimetres dangle left in the RD as well. The only issue you may find, as mentioned above, is that there may be a bit of chain slip, if you use one chain for both applications, as was said the chain and cassette mesh together, so moving one chain to a different cassette could cause a bit of slip.
  • chatlow
    chatlow Posts: 848
    thanks - it was more to check whether there would be an issue switching between two different ratio cassettes but I guess the main problem could be chain slip (old chain, new cassette) and whether my existing short cage 105 5800 could handle the extra 2 teeth at the back

I've just asked about the 2nd point in the workshops section