Votec Bikes VRX - any experience?

Matty2B
Matty2B Posts: 62
edited January 2018 in Road buying advice
I am currently looking for a new do-it-all alu or steel commuter and adventure bike in the £1300-1700 range. There are just so many good options now, from more road endurance focussed (Domane, Orro Terra Gravel, PlanetX London Road etc) through halfway house (Merida Silex 400/600, Boardman CX Team, Ribble CGR etc) to full adventure with 650b compatibility (Nukeproof Digger, Whyte Glencoe, Sonder Camino Al etc). And then I heard about the Votec VRX...

Gran-Fondo-Gravel-Test-Review-Votec-Best-Value-1140x760.jpg

Comp Model
Pro Model

It looks great, the geo seems right for me based on other bikes I've tried and the specs are great for the money (Comp model has SRAM Apex hydro for ~£1250, Pro has Rival hydro ~£1500; both tubeless ready and with an AUW ~9kgs in a medium). The Gran Fondo review is glowing and I even like the colours; I'm just worried about buying direct from Germany with no knowledge of the company.

Has anyone here used Votec before? What do you think of this bike - worth the risk, or am I better sticking with something I can source in the UK from an LBS? :?:
Getting better slowly, one crash at a time!
Marin Hawk Hill 2 2018
Kinesis Tripster AT, SRAM Apex
Specialized Crossroads 2000

Comments

• Matty2B
    Ah, there is a problem - it appears according to this video I will need to cultivate a beard and put on a pretentious voice over on my headphones when riding...

On the upside I suppose any company that can afford to make a pretentious, high production value video like that is more likely to be decently financed!

EDIT - Just found another very positive review of this bike...
    Marin Hawk Hill 2 2018
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    Votec have been around for a good while, I remember them in the 90's making pretty cool and original mountain bikes. They made a bike with Porsche IIRC.
  • Matty2B wrote:
    Ah, there is a problem - it appears according to this video I will need to cultivate a beard and put on a pretentious voice over on my headphones when riding...

On the upside I suppose any company that can afford to make a pretentious, high production value video like that is more likely to be decently financed!

EDIT - Just found another very positive review of this bike...

You may need a beard, but it's a small price to pay for a bike which can change the weather and dry everything out when you leave the main road!
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Matty2B
    Agreed - I wonder if it also cleans itself after you return from your ride?!!
    Marin Hawk Hill 2 2018
  • Matty2B
    Beatmaker wrote:
    Votec have been around for a good while, I remember them in the 90's making pretty cool and original mountain bikes. They made a bike with Porsche IIRC.
    Many thanks, that is good to know - I have not been able to find out much about their history / longevity until now.
    Marin Hawk Hill 2 2018
  • Hi

Looking for a winter and do it all bike, I bought a VRX Pro thru Bikester a couple of months ago further to the Gran Fondo review.
    After almost 500K, i would say the Gran Fondo review is a bit overrated. The bike is a good workhorse, well built and well specd for the price but I find slow and sluggish. Maybe i shoudn't compare to my other bike (Domane SLR) which is 3 times the price. Basically, it does the job but can't say it brings much excitement.
    Equally, delivery was fast and complete from Bikester but with some flaws (& disk brake twisted, disks not tightened,..) which make me bring it to a bikeshop for fixing and tuning.

Finally, I wonder if the Elite model was not a not better choice (pricier but lighter)
  • Matty2B
    ...Looking for a winter and do it all bike, I bought a VRX Pro thru Bikester a couple of months ago further to the Gran Fondo review.
    After almost 500K, i would say the Gran Fondo review is a bit overrated. The bike is a good workhorse, well built and well specd for the price but I find slow and sluggish. Maybe i shoudn't compare to my other bike (Domane SLR) which is 3 times the price. Basically, it does the job but can't say it brings much excitement.

...Finally, I wonder if the Elite model was not a better choice (pricier but lighter)
    Good input, many thanks. Do you think the sluggishness you note may be a characteristic of most/all adventure/gravel bikes? After all they tend to be heavier with longer wheelbases, wider tyres and slacker head angles for more stable handling off road. For me that is fine - I am not after a "Ferrari" on the daily commute or touring/bikepacking trips, just dependable handling on all surfaces and with a geo that is comfortable for long periods. I can certainly appreciate if you are used to something sharper and lighter though it could be a disappointing experience.

PS - Although the VRX is still on my shortlist I am thinking of going with something I can get from my LBS; a custom build of the Kinesis Tripster AT is favourite, though I am still not 100% decided.
    Marin Hawk Hill 2 2018