new deore 10spd 11-42t cassette

swod1
swod1 Posts: 1,639
edited January 2018 in MTB buying advice
Any one using one of these cassettes?

Just wondering what the quality is like, is it just a standard 11-36 with a 42t added.

Looks a bargain for the price merlin cycles doing them for 27.50 so I'm thinking pair it with a kmc x10 el chain and it'll be a good setup for a mooching about hardtail I'm finally getting around building. This alongside an xt m786 clutch mech I've got spare.

any other alternatives, I know there's the sunrace ms3?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I’m using the Sunrace MX3, a bit dearer than the MS but has a spider and the largest sprocket is alloy which knocks a chunk of weight off.

I would suggest a mech hanger extender similar to the goat link, I got one off eBay for £3 delivered, otherwise it can be hard getting the jockey to largest sprocket clearance good enough, it’s OK static just, but chain bounce seems to pull it in to touch.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    The Rookie wrote:
    I’m using the Sunrace MX3, a bit dearer than the MS but has a spider and the largest sprocket is alloy which knocks a chunk of weight off.

I would suggest a mech hanger extender similar to the goat link, I got one off eBay for £3 delivered, otherwise it can be hard getting the jockey to largest sprocket clearance good enough, it’s OK static just, but chain bounce seems to pull it in to touch.

yeah already got the mx3 on my mega in 11-40 rather good but tempted to try out the deore as its about half the price.

Don't want to spend too much, I'm using a lot of spare useable parts here only need the usual cassette, chain, cables.

I'll check the rear derailleur as I'm sure its got on it a radr cage on it, needs a rebuild first. £3 for a new spring plus new seal only a quid sjs cycles couldn't believe stock loads of shimano spares. I was going to bin it.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'd probably take a Deore over an MS3 at similar prices, but no experience, he photo's suggest its loose sprockets and spacers then bolted up as per previous Deore.

Yes if you have a Radr that should do the job for you. SJS are very good for stuff like that.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    The Rookie wrote:
    I'd probably take a Deore over an MS3 at similar prices, but no experience, he photo's suggest its loose sprockets and spacers then bolted up as per previous Deore.

Yes if you have a Radr that should do the job for you. SJS are very good for stuff like that.

Yes the Deore 11-42 hg500 cassette is all riveted except for the 11t and lock ring which are loose pieces, watched a youtube unboxing video about 50grams or so difference between a mx3 and deore cassette.

One noticeable thing on the Shimano the last two low gears are 37 and 42 tooth.

I've bookmarked SJS they are excellent ordered some more replacement parts than bin stuff.