Roval Control SL 142 or 142+????

mthams
mthams Posts: 33
edited January 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello,

I bought a pair of advertised Roval Control SL 142 2016 model. I race a Cube Reaction GTC SL which is heavily modified and I was looking for some carbon rims.

Now my mechanic told me that the Roval Control SL are 142+ which unfortunately was not advertised like this but I cannot see anywhere on the rim if this is a 142+ what i do know is the hub is a Hope Pro4 and I wonder if there is a chance that this will be 142 and not 142+? They used to be on a specialized camber pro carbon 29 which to me reads 142+.

Does anyone know if pro4 does the 142+ or that there is a chance this could be 142?

Hope you can help,
M

Comments

• mthams
    no one with some Roval SL experience here???
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Th rim is irrelevant, it’s the Hope hubs that dictate if it’s 142 or 142+

Go to Hopes tech site and see if you can get an adaptor to convert them.

Some background https://media.specialized.com/support/0 ... 010510.pdf
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mthams
    On Hopes website, they seem only to do 135/142 or Boost or 150...given on a Specialized, i wonder if im lucky it would be a 142 then and fits?
  • The Rookie
    Only one way to find out!

It may be that Hope only supply 142+ to Spesh and as such they don't publicise what they do, DT Swiss are the only stated supplier that I can find though, so is your LBS certain it's 142+?

The measurements are all in the link above, conventional 142 is just a 135 hub with extra width outside the core hub/freehub section, the cassette stays in the same place relative to the wheel centreline, 142+ is like half way boost with the cassette moving out 2mm, that may or may not create an issue depending on the frame, unless there is something between the hub and freehub to move it though it may suggest you can't just change adaptor (but may still be possible to convert), you also need to consider moving the chainline out 2mm to suite if you can.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Why not just see if they fit? You have the wheels, you have the bike. It takes approx. 10 seconds.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    Will need the 11t sprocket and locknut as well!

On my commuter I can't fit certain brands of 135mm hub as the brake disc and cassette are too far out, things are not as standard as the word standard suggests!
  • mthams
    The Rookie wrote:
    Will need the 11t sprocket and locknut as well!

On my commuter I can't fit certain brands of 135mm hub as the brake disc and cassette are too far out, things are not as standard as the word standard suggests!

maybe stupid question...11t sprocket and locknut...i got those from the existing bike right or is this something different which need to be compatible with the new rims?
  • mthams
    cooldad wrote:
    Why not just see if they fit? You have the wheels, you have the bike. It takes approx. 10 seconds.

would i not need to put cassette and everything on or do you suggest take wheel off (easy) and wack in the new rim - will this prove it works?
  • mthams
    Hope never made 142+ hub so should fit i hope!!!
  • mthams
    Next problem is that the front hub is not a boost which i required and i need to change the whole hub....better to get it to a wheelbuilder or can a local bike shop do the job?
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    You seem to be causing a lot of problems for yourself.
    Just sell the wheels and buy another pair that will slot straight in.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • mthams
    well trust me that has crossed my mind but given i got the wheels at a steal...maybe its economical to swap the front hub.
  • The Rookie
    It will cost you between £60 and £120 to change the front hub (hub spokes and build) unless you go second hand hub or learn to build a wheel yourself.
  • mthams
    Found a bike shop willing to do it for 50 pounds (1hr job). Now I need to figure out if I need new spokes. Any idea?
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Maybe. It depends on the size of the flanges on the new hub.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • The Rookie
    It would be a miracle if you didn’t need new spokes, the flanges would have to be the right amount smaller to allow for the fact they are 5mm further in towards the centreline.
  • mthams
    how do i figure out the spoke length.....? Bit of a rookie
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Google spoke calculator. Or ask the bike shop.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools