Tools for bike building

slc123
slc123 Posts: 407
edited January 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

I'm after some advice in terms of what tools I should invest in for the first bike build I am attempting. I notice a lot of the toolkits contain a lot of what I would consider normal tools I already have.

I'm going to get the LBS to fit the headset as I don't fancy investing in a press. Aside from that would would people recommend getting or is the toolkit a good way forward?

My assumptions of what I will definitely need are:

- Chain whip
- Cassette tool
- BB tool

Thanks
Cannondale Trail 27.5 | 2015
Titus El Chulo 27.5 | 2017
Trek Slash 9 27.5 | 2015 (building)

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,689
    Assuming you are going to be using a threaded bottom bracket you'll need the tool for that. If using a press fit BB the same tool will work as a headset press.
    Decathlon do a sort of chain whip that isn't a chain whip that is supposed to be very good. https://www.decathlon.co.uk/chain-whip- ... 09913.html
    You'll need a cassette tool as you say, a chain tool is the other one that springs to mind. Pedal spanner might be needed although a lot of pedals have an internal hex on them. Most of the rest is fairly normal stuff as you say. Good quality allen and torx keys. You might need cone spanners for adjusting hubs at some point, but that's not part of building a bike.
    To cut a steerer tube I use an old stem as a guide and a decent hacksaw.
    I'm sure there's more I haven't thought of.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485
    I used a B&W pipe cutter for steerer tube cutting after hacksawing didn't do quite so neat a job.

http://www.diy.com/departments/b-q-tube ... 157_BQ.prd

It only gets 1* as a review on there, but worked flawlessly for me on two sets of forks (not carbon steerer, of course).
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • slc123
    Thanks guys, that piece of decathlon kit looks great, I'll get hold of one of those definitely.

Any recommendations for the BB tool for a SRAM GXP bracket, as you mention is standard BSA threaded. I would imagine the cassette tool are pretty much standard. Will be fitting a SRAM 10-42 cassette.

Thanks
  • kingdav
    kingdav Posts: 417
    • I fitted a sram gxp bb with the same tool I use for shimano hollowtech, I have a park BBT9.
    • Depending on what kind of chain you'll be using you might want to get some link pliers so you can open it again when necessary. I use sram or kmc chains so I get a quick link thrown in with a new one.
    • You need a chain tool to cut the chain to length.
    • If you are swapping chain rings, there is a tool for that.
    Possibly some things you already have/are more generic:-
    • decent wire cutters for cutting inners and outers.
    • A file to make good brake outer after cutting.
    • Depending on how carbony your build is you might consider a torque wrench.
    • A grease gun so the parts you thread together don't stick forever.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I have a toolkit similar to this one
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/x-to ... -prod40997
    Cassette tool, chain whip, chain tool, BB tool and a few other useful bits and pieces.

I’ve been using mine since 2009.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,868
    I used a £6 compression kit (Basically a threaded pole, with bolts and large plastic washers on) to fit the headset into my carbon frame - no issues at all.
    Would also do a BB I am sure.

I would suggest decent quality cable cutters would be a boon too (I now see kingdav has already mentioned this!)

If you are fitting carbon components I would suggest a torque wrench - Sealey make an excellent one for about £30 - Amazon sell it amongst others, PM me if you want a link.

I bought a fork steerer cutting guide, and also very recently a star nut installer.
    ooh whilst I remember, check Evans, they have a lot of their FWE toolkit stuff on sale for huge reductions - ie star nut fitter, £20 down to £3 etc etc

I cut my carbon fork with a carbon specific saw which was around £7 only - I had two to cut, so seemed worth getting it and the guide.

Oh and another strong recommendation, if you do not already have one, is a reasonable stand, makes like SO much easier.

Post pics of the finished article!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • slc123
    Thanks for all the replies guys! - I think I may look at getting a basic toolkit. The X Tools one is out of stock but Tredz have something very similar. https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Bike-Hand-Bicy ... sku=104644

Seems like it has most of what I need.

Not directly related to the tools question, but as the bike is completely in bits currently is there a sensible order to put things together in?

Thanks
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,868
    slc123 wrote:
    Thanks for all the replies guys! - I think I may look at getting a basic toolkit. The X Tools one is out of stock but Tredz have something very similar. https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Bike-Hand-Bicy ... sku=104644

Seems like it has most of what I need.

Not directly related to the tools question, but as the bike is completely in bits currently is there a sensible order to put things together in?

Thanks

That X-Tools set will likely do the bulk of what you need - plus a few speciality tools as discussed.

Order - in my case I went with:

- Install seatpost (Sacrificial if need be) to hang frame off in stand.
    - Headset, fork and stem\handlebars (Protect top tube as bars swinging around (Until they have tape on) can chip the paint)
    - Crankset (If your bb is already in)\front derailleur\shifting levers
    - Cassette onto wheel - fit wheels into frame
    - Fit brake callipers
    - IF you have a drop out alignment tool - check everything is in parity - mine was not, so I had to use the tool - then I fitted the rear derailleur - not the end of the world if you do not have such a tool, it will soon become apparent if there are alignment issues!
    - Chain (Google for methods of how to calculate the correct length)
    - Cables (Inners and outers) for gears and brakes - take time getting the length of the outers correct if you can.
    - index gears \ adjust brake pads (Assuming you are not running discs)

Handy tip for fitting the brakes, is to use a 5mm allen key as a guide - ie wind the barrel adjuster out that amount, and then set the pads as you think is correct - this then gives you some wiggle room to get the pads as close as you can.

Not sure if that is THE most logical order, but it seemed to work for me.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • slc123
    Daniel B wrote:
    That X-Tools set will likely do the bulk of what you need - plus a few speciality tools as discussed.

Order - in my case I went with:

- Install seatpost (Sacrificial if need be) to hang frame off in stand.
    - Headset, fork and stem\handlebars (Protect top tube as bars swinging around (Until they have tape on) can chip the paint)
    - Crankset (If your bb is already in)\front derailleur\shifting levers
    - Cassette onto wheel - fit wheels into frame
    - Fit brake callipers
    - IF you have a drop out alignment tool - check everything is in parity - mine was not, so I had to use the tool - then I fitted the rear derailleur - not the end of the world if you do not have such a tool, it will soon become apparent if there are alignment issues!
    - Chain (Google for methods of how to calculate the correct length)
    - Cables (Inners and outers) for gears and brakes - take time getting the length of the outers correct if you can.
    - index gears \ adjust brake pads (Assuming you are not running discs)

Handy tip for fitting the brakes, is to use a 5mm allen key as a guide - ie wind the barrel adjuster out that amount, and then set the pads as you think is correct - this then gives you some wiggle room to get the pads as close as you can.

Not sure if that is THE most logical order, but it seemed to work for me.

Thanks Daniel, more or less what I was thinking. Still got a few bits to pick up, so once I've got it all it will be full steam ahead to get it rolling!
  • A good stand, I use PSC9 which is 100 times better than the cheap ebay £30 things.