hello there, from a bit of a reticent beginner

2»

Comments

• milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    Moonbiker wrote:
    It my opinioin that if cycling wasn't viewed so much exclusively as sport activity in the UK alot more people might cycle.

Also alot of the consumerist aspects can discourage new younger people from taking it up as an activity as they feel discouraged by the high cost of the "entry lvl" stuff they are told they "need" before they even start.

All the advertizing is aimed at sportive riders, not people popping down to shops etc, so that narrow view is what many people view cycling as which is a shame.

Thats the good thing about netherlands in that cyling is seen more as something for everyone, not just dentists with deep carbon rims pretending there Chris Fromme.

Hence why I said cycling can be what ever you want it to be.

If you enjoy the idea of power meters Functional Threshold Power test, diets and trainning regimes go for it. Or just go our and cycle, to enjoy being outside to see the countryside or do both etc.

If only Carlsberg made cycling :lol:
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    keef66 wrote:
    To me sport implies some element of competition, so racing, time trials, hill climbs etc. I have no idea about the actual numbers, but I get the impression round here that maybe 10% of the people I see on bikes are competing or training to do so. The vast majority I'd assume are either commuters and / or leisure cyclists, or doing organised things like sportives, audax, sponsored or club rides. And of course, none of these things are mutually exclusive. Three of the commuters I see most mornings are wearing head to toe Castelli and riding as a mini chain gang at a fair old clip, so I suspect they could be club riders / racers.

Never ‘Assume’. It makes an ass out of U and Me. Trust me when I say, a lot of the folk you’ve ( quite astutely ) observed, would like you to think they are doing it for some sort of ‘reason’. The truth is more likely to be that a fair few are a wee bit ‘shouty all the gear no idea / FPKW’ and your perspective may be influenced by the kit they have. Play the long game, don’t be influenced by the ‘fly by nights’ ride For your own reasons, don’t be distracted by other people’s agendas. Easier said than done, I know. But if you just ignore the ‘faux pro’ brigade, and do your own thing, You’ll find cycling is actually very enjoyable.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    The truth is more likely to be that a fair few are a wee bit ‘shouty all the gear no idea / FPKW’ and your perspective may be influenced by the kit they have.

I'm always up for calling out a bit of hypocrisy. So talking of shouty FPKWs, has anyone got that pic of milemuncher in full BMC kit..??
  • Brakeless
    Brakeless Posts: 865
    39073352184_96842144ef_o.jpgIMG_3033 by Bobin Noggs, on Flickr

Faux Pro ! Liarmuncher's won the Tour !
  • Thank you all.

The last few weeks I've been riding quite regularly.
    I really enjoy it. Still not pushing it, since some 'irritation' in the shins is surfacing again. At first I thought it was related to cycling (because I was focussed on cycling) but then I realized it could also be related to climbing the stairs at work (10 floors, with a heavy bag), which I started doing recently as well to increase fitness levels more rapidly. I stopped climbing the stairs for now.

When the thought train started running I became aware of the fact that when we would do a hike with the family, once every couple of weeks, I would feel some irritation in my shins. That occurs mostly after those hikes, but since I get enough recovery time after that and it is not that severe, I didn't give it a second thought. But now I remember.

The fysiotherapist asked me if I've insoles (supportive soles) or if I've ever been to a podiatrist and indeed I did got insoles for running, in 2013. According the the measurements of back then, my right heel angle is 6,2 degrees and my left heel angle is 8,5 degrees. I don't know if that is severe, but back then it wasn't required to use the insoles all the time, only when running. It's now 5y later. I've changed. And to be fair I don't think the shin issue is not related to cycling. So I made an appointment with the podiatrist: I've an appointment today.

Since this thought about the insoles, last Thursday, I started using them in my regular shoes as well. I think the issue is getting less. Sunday I rode for 21km. It felt so great. No issues as all. Next day however, my shins felt more painful. The ride, I thought. But then I remembered I tightened my shoelaces a bit more, to get extra support. I loosened them and the complaints started to fade.... My god. All those variables. I'm 90% confident this has nothing to do with riding the bike.

Now it is like connecting the dots... probably I need some supportive soles, not only for when sporting, but like 'always'. I need to pay attention to fastening my shoelaces and... I have an appointment with the podiatrist today at noon. Really curious about that.

I'm aware this hole shin thing is becoming a 'thing'. I'm paying attention to it all the time, so that's not really helpful. I'm aware. But I'm confident this will fade.

Another thing I like to share: it occurred to me that when I'm out on a ride, my thoughts stop. That actually is amazing, since all of my life my brains are engaged. Sure, there are some times I can be focused on work, or on a series on Netflix for example. But most of the time my brains are engaged: thinking about family life things, work related, photography related (another hobby), things to do in the house, etc. But, to my own surprise, this all stopped when I was out on a ride. That felt great. I really enjoyed the moment.

Also, when I used to go running, I would choose between a couple of fixed routes. Sure, I did different training intensities, like endurance, or interval, but it was a fixed route and training was the goal. When cycling, I choose my initial direction based on the wind direction: fist the headwind part. I had a general idea of the route I was going to take, but it turns out that I choose differently during the rides: Back already? No, let's go that way for a while. Or: Where would this road lead me?

I really like that. I've been in so many different places I haven't been to in the 17y I live in Moordrecht now.

Looking forward to the appointment with the podiatrist.
    I'll keep you posted!
  • kingdav
    kingdav Posts: 417
    I recently saw a podiatrist and got some custom orthotics, I wear them both in my everyday footwear and my cycling shoes and it's made a big difference to my left foot where the arch has collapsed. Unexpected, but its also fixed some right knee pain I had.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123

Also, when I used to go running, I would choose between a couple of fixed routes. Sure, I did different training intensities, like endurance, or interval, but it was a fixed route and training was the goal. When cycling, I choose my initial direction based on the wind direction: fist the headwind part. I had a general idea of the route I was going to take, but it turns out that I choose differently during the rides: Back already? No, let's go that way for a while. Or: Where would this road lead me?

I really like that. I've been in so many different places I haven't been to in the 17y I live in Moordrecht now.

That's what I do if I can; check the weather forecast and if there's any kind of wind, head into it at the start of the ride and have a tailwind home. I also use my Garmin to suggest circular routes. Enter the distance I want to do and it will suggest 3 routes, choose the one heading into the wind, and off I go. I've discovered so many roads within 30 miles of home I've never been down before in 30 years. Only occasionally will it try to take me across a field...
  • Just returned form the podiatrist: as expected I indeed will need some custom orthotics (so that's what they are called :) ).
    That was quite a relief: It was clear that my feet need support to prevent inward and downward movement. Now I know there is indeed something wrong and this is causing the issues. This is not related to cycling, but to all movement, like walking and running.

Next week Thursday I have an appointment to fetch the orthotics. looking forward to this.
    Also she gave me some exercises to get my feet/calfs stronger.

:)
  • Just returned form the podiatrist: as expected I indeed will need some custom orthotics (so that's what they are called :) ).
    That was quite a relief: It was clear that my feet need support to prevent inward and downward movement. Now I know there is indeed something wrong and this is causing the issues. This is not related to cycling, but to all movement, like walking and running.

Next week Thursday I have an appointment to fetch the orthotics. looking forward to this.
    Also she gave me some exercises to get my feet/calfs stronger.

:)

As an alternative to Orthotics (for cycling only) I have a similar problem, particularly with my right foot. I solved this by using some cleat wedges/shims between my cycling shoes and my cleats. I did a self-fit over a few rides and gradually found a set up that worked for me. The angle of your foot (front to back is also very important if you stand toes inward or outward. Takes a bit of experimnetation to get it right

Cleat wedges - https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Bikefit/3-Hole-Cleat-Wedge-Single-Shim/MH4
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • Another update:

Since the start of this year I was able to ride 3x a week. I really enjoy it.
    The fysio adviced to stay low in the heart rate for 6-7 weeks, to let my body adopt to the 'training'. So all of the rides I try to do that. This means: easy gearing and low speed. I try to keep a cadence around 80-85. That cadence feels really nice.

Staying in the low heart rate zone is actually quite hard. Sometimes you want to go a bit faster, or with a head wind, the heart rate obviously goes up.... and then I need to slow down. And sure I my let my heart rate go up and sometimes I do go a bit faster, but I really look forward to doing other training intensities as well.

The last 3 rides I notice a slight pain in my left knee. During the ride I tried to reposition my foot. Since I have a hybrid/cit bike with regular pedals (no clipless) my foot can be repositioned during the ride intentionally, or unintentionally.
    Sometimes this does help, but today it didn't help. I've been thinking about raising my saddle before, but didn't because I was in doubt, since it is already quite high. But then again, I've rather long legs, for my overall body length. So, just raised it a bit, after marking the current setting. Really curious how this will work out. Hopefully I can test tomorrow

I read in this thread that someone got his knee issue solved when starting using orthotics. Next Thursday I will get mine. Looking forward to it.

Cheers,
    Rolf
  • New update :)
    It's been a while. The orthotics feel good. No more issues in the shins!
    Also, I've bought a proper bike, a Focus Cayo, alu, 105. I'm really loving it. I've bought it 3 weeks ago and I've ridden it 9 times now. The bike feels great. I've also got clipless, obviously. Using these is great. Although I now have a bit of a sore right knee, outer side. I've finetuned the clips some bit and it is less now. Less, but not gone yet.

Therefore I'm thinking of buying these: Pedal Spacers, http://a.co/gq3eUpH
    Analyzing my knee does seem that is going outwards when in the top position.

I'm a bit hesitant because of the prize. If they work, I'm fine to pay that amount. But what if they do not solve the issue? Than it's another 50,- EUR. Obviously I can try to sell them, but still.

So glad I bought the Focus. I really enjoy going out for a ride, even when it was freezing last week.
    The first rides on the bike, I felt different muscles than on the other bike. Also using the clipless I surprised myself that I was actually applying upward force as well. That felt also great.
    Still small rides though, because I need to get used to the fit/position. I want to solve the sore knee asap.
    Rode for 26km today and felt it. Not PAIN, but a bit sore.

Last week I also did my first sprint training. Just a short ride of 10km, but with a couple of sprints. I was exhausted, but pleased. No knee issues then.

I want to wait for another couple of rides and see how the knee progresses. Else I want to try the pedal spacer.
    Anyone experience with the spacer?

Thanks,
    Rolf