Best home insurance with bikes

gabriel959
gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
edited January 2018 in Road buying advice
My JL Home insurance renewal has come through the door but it is ridiculous, they want £100 more than last year. I only need contents as I get the buildings elsewhere. Which one do you guys and gals recommend?
x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra

Comments

• Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Pedal Cover were great (including pay out)
    Halifax weren't too bad last I looked with bike values and on the road details.
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    I've just gone through this, I used to be with Axa, but they also had a ridiculous price increase. Went through one of the screen scraper sites and Sainsbury's seemed the best as I declared 2 bikes over £1k and they only wanted something like £77 for contents valued at £75k. Cheapest quote was £51 as I recall, I went for the best that had decent reviews. This is from £240ish at Axa.
  • gabriel959
    Nice one and thanks both, just tried a quote with Pedalcover (Axa broker) with some excellent cover for less than £200, so will probably take that! Thanks.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • Jayme
    Jayme Posts: 48
    I'm with LV. They seem to have decent quotes and include away from home cover as well
  • cgfw201
    cgfw201 Posts: 680
    was better for me to split home + bike insurance this year. went with yellow jersey which seems better all round for bike cover, and saved money on my contents insurance elsewhere.
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    I use Bikmo for bike insurance and a separate policy for home insurance. Bikmo actually gets a little cheaper each year with loyalty discount, and it opens up loads more home policy options without having to worry about the bike cover on the policy.
  • gabriel959
    Thanks for the other suggestions, tried to do a separate cover but comes up very expensive for me. With Yellow Jersey and Bikmo it is actually more expensive to insure my bikes with them only than to insure my bikes and contents with Pedalcover. Madness.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    +1 pedalcover. Handled my claim like a dream.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Just do compare the meerkat with the bikes named on the home insurance. They'll deliver loads of quotes direct to you and keep your details on file so its easy to do the next year too.

I'm with JLewis too but I'm gonna save a shedload compared to their new quote - its a ridiculous hike but most people don't shop around.

Oh and you get the Meerkat Movies deal too - which could save you a couple of hundred quid a year if you used it every week !