Canyon Women's Bikes

sarahpimms
sarahpimms Posts: 5
edited January 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi all, does anyone have any experience of the canyon women's range? I've found my Liv road bike to be too long in the reach so looking for a more compact set up and these look good. Not sure if the smaller wheels (650b) are a good idea or not! I cycle around 150 miles per week in the summer and do a few sportives and triathlons. Thanks.

Comments

• grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    My wife has 2 Canyon Enduraces (one alu, one CF SLX) both were 'womens' versions but not the proper models they have now. They just came with inline seatposts rather than layback ones and with womens saddles.

She's done double centuries on the alu one so I assume it was comfortable enough!

Which Liv model do you have? I moved from a Defy to an Endurace myself and found the latter to be slightly more stretched out.
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    650b makes sense for smaller riders, but downside is wheelset & tire choice is limited.

Have a read of this, its about Emma Pooleys custom 650b build.

https://cyclingtips.com/2017/03/bespoke ... new-bikes/

I assume you have already adjusted saddle bolt postion maybe considered a shorter stem length if possible to adjust reach on the current liv?
  • jimmurray
    jimmurray Posts: 130
    My wife who is 5’1” has a size 3xs Ultimate slx disk with 650b wheels. She absolutely loves it and feels much more confident on it than her Synapse. She also said having disk brakes rather than rim helped as she finds it difficult to exert enough stopping power as she tends to ride on the hoods rather than the drops so doesn’t have the additional brake leverage. Bought a couple of spare tyres and load of tubes as these wouldn’t be easy to get if needed them quickly.
  • GrenW wrote:
    My wife has 2 Canyon Enduraces (one alu, one CF SLX) both were 'womens' versions but not the proper models they have now. They just came with inline seatposts rather than layback ones and with womens saddles.

She's done double centuries on the alu one so I assume it was comfortable enough!

Which Liv model do you have? I moved from a Defy to an Endurace myself and found the latter to be slightly more stretched out.

Thanks for this! It's a Liv Avail Advamced Pro 2015. Lovely bike but just a bit too much stretch for me. Real shame and an expensive mistake! So really don't want to get it wrong again....
  • Moonbiker wrote:
    650b makes sense for smaller riders, but downside is wheelset & tire choice is limited.

Have a read of this, its about Emma Pooleys custom 650b build.

https://cyclingtips.com/2017/03/bespoke ... new-bikes/

I assume you have already adjusted saddle bolt postion maybe considered a shorter stem length if possible to adjust reach on the current liv?

Brilliant - thank you. Had a new angled stem, different seats, professional bike fit but still not right!
  • jimmurray wrote:
    My wife who is 5’1” has a size 3xs Ultimate slx disk with 650b wheels. She absolutely loves it and feels much more confident on it than her Synapse. She also said having disk brakes rather than rim helped as she finds it difficult to exert enough stopping power as she tends to ride on the hoods rather than the drops so doesn’t have the additional brake leverage. Bought a couple of spare tyres and load of tubes as these wouldn’t be easy to get if needed them quickly.

Good tips, thanks. Do the smaller wheels make your wife slower? Sorry if this is a stupid question!
  • jimmurray
    jimmurray Posts: 130
    Not that she’s noticed. The gearing is slightly different with semi compact vs compact on the front to allow for the smaller wheels. She was a bit wary of the smaller wheels initially but she absolutely loves it and is a lot more confident on it, especially on descents.