BMC roadmachine?

col748
col748 Posts: 81
edited January 2018 in Road buying advice
I’ve been looking for a new road bike and have seen the Bmc roadmachine, really liked the look of it and did some research. Found out it’s a bit of an “all road bike”, I only want it for road rides. I don’t race, accept friends and unknowns on Strava. I have done a few tri’s but defo doesn’t warrant a tri bike, just want a bike for riding about with mates on roads.

Should I let the “all road” bit put me off? It’s very low geared, I guess for gravel roads so I’d have to change that and it only a 105 group set...not to bothered about that, but for the same money i can get a pinatello gan s a with ultegra, all be it last years.

What you think peeps? Thanks Colin.

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    I think you've made your own decision

And don't worry a jot about it being last year's - spend the difference between last year's and this year's on riding treats or some phat wheels.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    If you’re going to buy a bicycle, a bike made by a bicycle manufacturing company, is a good bet.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    If you’re going to buy a bicycle, a bike made by a bicycle manufacturing company, is a good bet.

As opposed to what - a bike made by a non-bicycle manufacturing company? Do you even think before you type this kind of nonsense?
  • BMC stands for bike manufacturing company.
  • Imposter wrote:

As opposed to what - a bike made by a non-bicycle manufacturing company? Do you even think before you type this kind of nonsense?
    You might want to look up what BMC stands for :mrgreen:
  • imposter2.0
    And here's me thinking it was started by three guys called Brian, Mike and Chris. BMC - yeah I got that already. Still a load of fking nonsense from milmuncher, is the point I'm making...
  • col748
    Yeah still a bit unsure, I was all for the gan s until I saw the roadmachine. Unsure why the roadmachine is so pricey and only got 105 maybe because it’s got disc brakes?

The main think that puts me off the road machine is the “all road” status, I don’t need a bike cabable of riding gravel roads.

So would the team machine from bmc be a better option or should I scrap the bmc idea altogether (I like the thru axles) and get the pinarello, which do people think is the best option?
  • Done a lot of research recently as I was buying a new bike, the BMC road machine was on my short list, great bike but I thought it was expensive and you could get better spec with other brands. What's your budget?
  • col748
    Does seem pricey for the group set, and I unsure about geometry is it just a new name for a gran fondo style bike?

Budget I wanted to spend around £2500 on the bike then maybe about another £500 or so upgrading the wheels.
  • col748 wrote:
    Does seem pricey for the group set, and I unsure about geometry is it just a new name for a gran fondo style bike?

Budget I wanted to spend around £2500 on the bike then maybe about another £500 or so upgrading the wheels.

The road machine geometry is in between race and endurace, similar to the Canyon Endurace. I also found the BMC is quite heavy also.

I just paid 2800 for Canyon ultimate cf sl 9.0 aero. Which is full 2017 ultegra disc and mavic Cosmic carbon wheels. The equivalent bmc was much much more money.

I understand that buying online is not for everyone but it was a great deal so I had to go for it, they are also at a couple of bike shows in Feb. My second choice was giant tcr and bianchi aria around the same sort of price.
  • col748
    Thanks, forgot about Canyon to be honest. I wasn’t looking at other makes I had my heart set on the pinarello.....might be just the name I liked haha. I’ll have a look at the canyons now.

I decided on get the pinarello in about september, was just sorting the monies now I’m scratching about looking at other bikes.....not a bad concern to have I suppose.

You loving the Canyon?
  • col748 wrote:
    Thanks, forgot about Canyon to be honest. I wasn’t looking at other makes I had my heart set on the pinarello.....might be just the name I liked haha. I’ll have a look at the canyons now.

I decided on get the pinarello in about september, was just sorting the monies now I’m scratching about looking at other bikes.....not a bad concern to have I suppose.

You loving the Canyon?

Ordered last week, been told will ship this week, cant wait. I bought a 2017 model in the outlet section of the site. For your budget I would say this is the bike

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/cate ... -90-51505/

Ultegra 2018 disc 2550, nothing really comes close to the spec at that price.
  • claudie
    claudie Posts: 18
    As the owner of an older version Roubaix I test rode the road machine thinking the 'between race and endurace' would be perfect. I found it a bit dull and ended up buying a Tarmac disc at a good discount - it was so much more fun to ride and q/r and post mount breaks still work fine!
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    col748 wrote:

You loving the Canyon?

If you keep coming back to the pinarello, or have wanted it for a long time , I would stick to your guns and go for that.

You do have to be careful though - it seems to me that cross bikes has become almost unrecognisable from gravel bikes - then theres sportive bikes, and full race bikes. Personally when spending big money I would want it to be sort of best in its class at that one thing. For me again the big money goes on a fast road bike - I wouldn't dumb that element down, just so it very occasionally can be used on gravel paths, or other off road......
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    I’m a BMC Sycophant, I really like every BMC bike I’ve ever ridden. They just seem to understand how to stick a set of components together, to make a bike that’s a relative joy to ride.
  • spatt77
    spatt77 Posts: 324
    hi, Ive got a BMC Roadmachine 105 , its an excellent bike and bearing in mind my other bike is a C60 i dont say this lightly. I wound not worry about this "All road " status, its faster than my previous BMC Gran Fondo but not quite as responsive as a Team Machine I tested, its fast, very comfortable and rides very well. hope this helps.
  • imposter2.0
    I’m a BMC Sycophant, I really like every BMC bike I’ve ever ridden. They just seem to understand how to stick a set of components together, to make a bike that’s a relative joy to ride.

Which doesn't explain why you only ride BTwins...
  • vortice
    vortice Posts: 244
    Have you sorted out which bike to go for yet?

FWIW, I have a team machine, road machine and a Canyon CF SLX. There is no doubt that the Canyon is great value for money and is a terrific bike, but I just love the BMCs. If you like climbing, the lighter weight and more agile handling of the Team machine is the one to go for. The road machine is a brilliant all rounder. Dont be put of by the all road tag. This basically translates to better tyre clearance which seems to be on trend. I've set the front end low and put 60mm carbon wheels on it and had plenty of PBS on it so don't worry about it being 'all road'. In fact the road machine incorporates plenty of aero features so it's clearly designed to go fast.

Hope that helps.