Boardman Hybrid Pro Derailleur Hanger

curium
curium Posts: 815
edited February 2018 in Workshop
Hi

I'm trying to get my Boardman Hybrid Pro back on the road. I need a replacement derailleur hanger as the current one is bent.

I've been to Boardman's website and they don't list any hangers for the Hybrid Pro.

Can anybody advise on sourcing a suitable replacement?

Thanks

Comments

• dgmoose
    dgmoose Posts: 16
    Remove the bent hanger from the frame so that you can make a visual comparison.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Halfords should have or be able to get one.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • PK1
    PK1 Posts: 193
    Halfords got me one !
  • curium
    I went into Halfords who ordered it from https://mountainbikecomponents.co.uk/ while I was in store.

Could have saved myself a trip to order it and another to collect it when it arrives had I known that in advance!

Silly me, I assumed that since they sell the bikes they would stock a range of components damaged in accidents.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    It's not like your local Ford garage carries all it's spares though is it ? How often do you need a new hanger anyway ?
  • curium
    cougie wrote:
    It's not like your local Ford garage carries all it's spares though is it ? How often do you need a new hanger anyway ?

It's such a small, relatively cheap part though. To my mind, bricks and mortar stores need to focus on this aspect of service if they want to compete with online stores.

I'll often be prepared to pay a premium to get something immediately versus getting it cheaper from eBay and waiting 2-3 days for delivery.

If bricks and mortar stores aren't carrying such items then they're failing to capitalise on a potential USP.

Just my 2p.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    It's worth acquiring and keeping a spare hanger against the event that you suffer a break - especially if away on holiday at the time IMO
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Have you tried just bending it back with an alignment tool? Hangers don't always need replacing just because they're bent and a new hanger should always be checked for alignment anyways as they don't all bolt up exactly the same.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Good chance an straightened aluminium hanger will break easily. aluminium doesn't like bending.

I speak from experience.

Ok as a temporary/emergancy measure.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    cooldad wrote:
    Good chance an straightened aluminium hanger will break easily. aluminium doesn't like bending.
    True but sometimes it's fine as well. If it doesn't feel like cheese and no visible damage, (cracks, spider lines) it should be OK but good to have a spare on hand as well. Try here for a replacement. OP's not listed but possibly you can find a match from the photos. https://derailleurhanger.com/manufacturer/boardman/
  • curium
    Just an update.

I got around to fitting the derailleur hanger purchased from Halfords and I'm not totally happy tbh.

When one of the screw-holes is lined up, the other is fractionally out. I've managed to make it fit but I'm disappointed in the aftercare provided by Boardman. They don't stock a hanger for this bike on their site and the third-party supplier used by Halfords doesn't seem to have their tolerances quite right. It would appear that an OEM version of the hanger is not available to Halfords from Boardman.

If they kept the hangers in stock I would have returned it for an exchange on the chance that the replacement would have been slightly better but it took the best part of a week for them to get the part in and I just wanted to get back on the road.
  • curium
    cooldad wrote:
    True but sometimes it's fine as well. If it doesn't feel like cheese and no visible damage, (cracks, spider lines) it should be OK but good to have a spare on hand as well. Try here for a replacement. OP's not listed but possibly you can find a match from the photos. https://derailleurhanger.com/manufacturer/boardman/

The hanger wasn't just bent it had twisted slightly also.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    curium wrote:
    cougie wrote:

It's such a small, relatively cheap part though. To my mind, bricks and mortar stores need to focus on this aspect of service if they want to compete with online stores.

I'll often be prepared to pay a premium to get something immediately versus getting it cheaper from eBay and waiting 2-3 days for delivery.

If bricks and mortar stores aren't carrying such items then they're failing to capitalise on a potential USP.

Just my 2p.

That would only ever work if there were just half a dozen types of hanger. As it is there are literally hundreds. The cost of stocking a comprehensive range would be prohibitive compared with the likely volume of sales and a low profit margin.

In 40 years of cycling and 4 different bikes I've bought precisely one derailleur hanger.

LBS / Halfords only really handy for generic stuff you suddenly need like a tyre, tube, cable or maybe a chain.
  • hdow
    hdow Posts: 184
    55 years and have yet to replace a hanger
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    Bought 4 in the last 6 years. Granted most have been mtb ones. I tend to go to http://gearmechhanger.com/

I now have a spare for all my bikes.