Will an 11 speed Sram Rival 22 Group set fit on my bike?

af25
af25 Posts: 23
edited January 2018 in Workshop
Hello there,
My current bike which is a Ridgeback Advance 5.0 has an entry level Shimano Claris 8 speed disc group set installed. I’m looking to buy an 11 speed Sram rival 22 but I’ve seen that there can be issues with cassette spacing or something like that when making big sprocket number changes. Can someone fill me in on what I have to look out for or if this will be compatible.
Thanks

Comments

• kingdav
    kingdav Posts: 417
    One thing to look out for is the wheels. An 8speed cassette is a tiny bit narrower than an 11 speed. Most wheels you buy now have a wide enough freehub and you just need a spacer to fit 10sp or below cassettes, conversely if your wheels have a 7,8,9 or 10 sp cassette on them, fitting an 11 is only possible if there is a spacer to remove. What year is the ridgeback?

I don't know about disc brakes because I don't have any bikes with them.

Your ridgeback will likely have a shimano octalink bottom bracket which you'll be replacing with a sram gxp, I couldn't find a spec sheet for the ridgeback detailed enough to check but the chances are that will be straightforward and your bottom bracket shell will be threaded the English way.
    AF25 wrote:
    Hello there,
    My current bike which is a Ridgeback Advance 5.0 has an entry level Shimano Claris 8 speed disc group set installed. I’m looking to buy an 11 speed Sram rival 22 but I’ve seen that there can be issues with cassette spacing or something like that when making big sprocket number changes. Can someone fill me in on what I have to look out for or if this will be compatible.
    Thanks
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    https://www.bike24.com/p295022.html

Probably will work expensive groupset for a bugdet bike though.

Theese are you hubs:

Hub Rear Shimano M475

135 OLD mtb hubs 11 spped compatible im not sure with road cassete from the answer too Question here....

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... -prod38215
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    That won’t take an 11 speed road cassette, only an MTB cassette which are the same width as a 10 speed and the biggest sprocket overhangs the hub.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • af25
    The Rookie wrote:
    That won’t take an 11 speed road cassette, only an MTB cassette which are the same width as a 10 speed and the biggest sprocket overhangs the hub.
    So could I just use a MTB cassette instead?
  • af25
    Moonbiker wrote:
    https://www.bike24.com/p295022.html

Probably will work expensive groupset for a bugdet bike though.

Theese are you hubs:

Hub Rear Shimano M475

135 OLD mtb hubs 11 spped compatible im not sure with road cassete from the answer too Question here....

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... -prod38215

Yeh ‘probably’ isn’t enough to convince me. I’m only looking at it because I’m seeing it cheap on eBay.
  • af25
    kingdav wrote:
    One thing to look out for is the wheels. An 8speed cassette is a tiny bit narrower than an 11 speed. Most wheels you buy now have a wide enough freehub and you just need a spacer to fit 10sp or below cassettes, conversely if your wheels have a 7,8,9 or 10 sp cassette on them, fitting an 11 is only possible if there is a spacer to remove. What year is the ridgeback?

I don't know about disc brakes because I don't have any bikes with them.

Your ridgeback will likely have a shimano octalink bottom bracket which you'll be replacing with a sram gxp, I couldn't find a spec sheet for the ridgeback detailed enough to check but the chances are that will be straightforward and your bottom bracket shell will be threaded the English way.
    AF25 wrote:
    Hello there,
    Thanks
    Unfortunately there’s no spacer to remove! Would being able to install an 11 speed involve getting a new wheel theoretically? Or how would one go about it?
  • AF25 wrote:
    An 11-speed Shimano MTB cassette (same cog spacing as SRAM) will fit on an 8/9/10-speed freehub body, as the large cogs are big enough that they can overhang the cassette body on the inside without the derailleur fouling the spokes. But the size of the cassette cogs will exceed the max capacity of the Rival rear derailleur - you would need to use something like a SRAM X9 MTB RD, which is compatible with the Rival shifters. And do you really need an 11-40 cassette, as they only come that size or larger.

SRAM have a web page at https://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/technologies/exact-actuation which lists all their exact actuation products that are compatible with each other.
  • af25
    Nick Payne wrote:
    AF25 wrote:
    An 11-speed Shimano MTB cassette (same cog spacing as SRAM) will fit on an 8/9/10-speed freehub body, as the large cogs are big enough that they can overhang the cassette body on the inside without the derailleur fouling the spokes. But the size of the cassette cogs will exceed the max capacity of the Rival rear derailleur - you would need to use something like a SRAM X9 MTB RD, which is compatible with the Rival shifters. And do you really need an 11-40 cassette, as they only come that size or larger.

SRAM have a web page at https://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/technologies/exact-actuation which lists all their exact actuation products that are compatible with each other.

Thanks for the info!