Hope headset and carbon steerer help please

Shaggy33
Shaggy33 Posts: 16
edited January 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
So I got my lbs to fit my mix and match hope headset to suit my 44mm straight head tube and tapered carbon steerer. He press fitted the top bearing in into headset but the bottom one is just a push in job so I took that away separately.
I Measured and cut my steerer to the required length and set about fitting fork using the hope head doctor expanding plug.
When I tighten top bolt to pull steerer into frame it all seems ok and there isn’t any mechanical movement when I apply brakes and rock the bike back and forth but it looks like the steerer is not seat properly, see pics.
There is a certain feeling of ‘give’ when I rock the bike but I put that down to carbon forks (never had them before).... have I don’t something wrong as I feel the steer should be closer seated than it is!!!
I should say for the record I haven’t fitted any of the shims to the top headset...

690BDCDA-D4A4-4FD8-81E2-2E0D81C91A0B_zpsb61mmpfd.jpeg
A949A825-AEA3-4A21-B5B8-9D3B42F68566_zpsab9qv16f.jpeg

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The black part is presumably a seal of some sort?

How it should look. http://www.hopetech.com/product/picknmix-headsets/

Have you put the lower bearing in with the shamfer on the internal race facing down, if not then the crown race can’t sit inside and align it properly.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks for quick reply. Yes the rubber edged ring is a seal as opposed to anything structural. I’ll check the bottom bearing, good point!
  • You were absolutely spot on, bearing wrong way up. Feel like a right lemon but thank you!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No problem.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.