Swapping an 11-32 for an 11-40/42.

kernel_gadaffi
kernel_gadaffi Posts: 121
edited January 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a 5 year old Genesis Core 30 and the 9 speed rear cassette is due for replacing, the rear mech is a long cage Deore, I was wondering if, instead of replacing it with the same, could I fit a lower gear cassette, with a 40-42 tooth, but still keep it 9 speed? I'm 57 in a couple of weeks and time is taking it's toll on me, the power, endurance and stamina are not as good as it once was.

Ta.

Alan.
Cube Peloton Pro.
Genesis Core 30.

Comments

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    It would cost less than £100 to convert it to 10 speed with a 36. Assuming you're on triple front then you'll never need a lower gear - it will climb up walls. Rear mech, shifter, chain and cassette.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Thanks for that.

Yes, it is a triple on the front. Will I need a freehub too?
    Cube Peloton Pro.
    Genesis Core 30.
  • Uber_Pod
    Uber_Pod Posts: 110
    I would have thought you could swap the 11-32 for an 11-34 with no other changes.
    Admittedly that won't make a massive difference.

Could you swap in a smaller front ring?
    I'd have thought the smallest front with 32 on the back would already spin pretty fast.
  • I've not thought of swapping to a smaller front ring, I'll see what I can find. The reason behind me wanting lower gears is medical and physical capability, I cannot get out of the saddle and my disability prevents me from exerting very much power, so, the lower gearing idea was the best option.

Thank you all for the suggestions.

Alan.
    Cube Peloton Pro.
    Genesis Core 30.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I run an 11:40 with an XTR 9 speed rear mech, it does need a goatlink or similar mech hanger extender, but otherwise works just fine. I’m using a copy off eBay for £3 delivered.

I doubt the mech will have enough capacity to run a triple with it though, also can’t see the point as with a 22:40 gearing I doubt you would be moving fast enough to balance.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    22 40 - you'll need to perfect your track stands!!!

11-34 and 11-36 are available in 9 speed cassettes.

Ideal recommend for you to try 36 first, quite a jump from 32 but nowhere near as much as 40.

BTW if your cassette needs replacing, chances are the chain will have worn so you'll need to fit a new one else it will jump on the new cassette.... and check condition of the 3 chainringso, replace if worn.
  • Uber_Pod
    Uber_Pod Posts: 110
    Stupid question time - you are using the smallest front ring (of the three) at the moment, aren't you?

Do you have a shop that you could demo a bike with the gear range you are looking at changing to?
    The rest of the bike wouldn't really matter - all you would want is to pedal around in the low gear range and see if it makes enough or too much difference.