Shimano chain connecting rivets

ab20000
ab20000 Posts: 89
edited January 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
Stupid question time. I've managed to lose the new chain connecting rivets :oops: :roll: for a 5800 11spd chain. I need to lose a few links anyway so wondering if I can just press out the existing pins and press them back in negating the need for the connecting rivet?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Nope, get some quicklinks instead (KMC or Sram). Much better. Shimano pins are not reusable.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ab20000
    ab20000 Posts: 89
    Okay thanks - bit of a pain but no big deal. If I just buy a KMC 'missing link' will this work fine with my shimano chain?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    As long as it's an 11 speed one, yes.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If you have a Decathlon near you theirs are actually stamped KMC but often cheaper
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    The pins on shimano (and other brands) are peen edges over so they don't come out.

I have in the past reused pins but would always peen them again, support the pin and work around the head with a drift/hammer, Idea is to make the end mushroom shape.

It is much easier and reliable to use a quick link or special shimano joining pin.
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    Shimano decided recently that the rest of the world weren't completely wrong and started selling their own quick-link.

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/s ... ink-50061/
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    A bit late though as everyone else just buys a kmc chain and uses this if they have any sense.

I'd suggest buying a couple and putting one in your tools kit if the chain ever breaks would be very handy to have with you.