Flared handlebars?

Bmxargh
Bmxargh Posts: 3
edited January 2018 in Road buying advice
New to the forum, been riding bikes for years and at the tender age of 48 not skating so much now so seem to be more. Not extreme amounts or distances like a lot of you I imagine more of a fun thing than competitive or ‘serious’. Needed something to help keep cholesterol down so just over a year ago so bought a Genesis Croix De Fer 20. Love it!
Due to not being such smooth a rider and a sturdy 6’2”ish along with loving the anything that isn’t a road and smoothish to rough as a bears ars* mashed the stock hubs (more me than the quality of hub and not re-greasing a hub that’s not sealed)…….. now run a Hope wheel set which is nice and just got a Brooks B17 Imperial as always wanted to try that bit of UK history!!

Three other bikes two BMX and a MtBike. So there is a little of me but now to a question I have which is handlebar related for the CDF!
Looking to get some ‘more’ flared handlebars on the CDF as love the rough stuff and have some great farmers lanes, bridleways around my way sometimes getting very rough terrain wise, even riding over to the Mendip hills at times for everything from fire road to single track.

There are two in particular I have been looking at the Ritchey WCS Venturemax (but I don’t get the bump on the drops lol) look great and the Salsa Cowchipper which seems to get great reviews! Both have very similar specs but according to the specs the the Cowchipper has a slightly longer reach to the Venturemax making the Venturemax preferable ‘for me’ though I then read a review on the Cowchipper which stated it had a shorter reach than the Venturemax which confused me!!
To me and the riding I like the flare makes sense for comfort and control. Anyway I’m throwing it open to discussion as I have trawled through here, reviews and other forums on said bars and others but riders know best!!!

Of the Ritchey WCS Venturemax and the Salsa Cowchipper who has experience of one, both?
Do they prefer one to the other and why?
Or should I be looking at some others too?

Cheers in advance for any help in making a decision.

J

Comments

• Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    How about Nitto B135SSB

I think the less extreme flared ones look better no experience though.
  • Interesting, not heard of them. Will have a look at them. Thanks!!
  • paulmon
    paulmon Posts: 315
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Ive got some Salsa Cowbell 2s on my gravel bike. Pretty flared but not as much as the Cowchippers. I like them a lot. Also have flared bars in my singlespeed (swapped the OE Pinnacle bars from the gravel bike to this one). My other road bikes have FSA k wings, which also have a modest flare. You could say im a convert!
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • You could also try the pair they are selling on the Alpkit site - https://www.alpkit.com/products/love-mud-bomber for only £25 or they have a slightly less flared pair too (if you try the bombers then please post about what you think)