Another Coast to Coast thread (soz!)

gaz047
gaz047 Posts: 601
edited June 2018 in Tour & expedition
Hi, I've been looking at various coast to coast routes and just looking to get a bit of feedback from people that have already done it. At the moment looking at Seascale to Whitby. Please see link

http://my.viewranger.com/route/details/MTA3Mjcz

Has anyone done this route and was the surface suitable for road bikes, any issues with the route and any recommendations for B and B's etc? We're looking to do the route over three days.
I realise this is a topic that comes up quite a bit, so any help is greatly appreciated

Many thanks
Gaz
if it ain't rainin.....it ain't trainin
Stick your 'rules' up your a%se

Comments

• bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    gaz047 wrote:
    Hi, I've been looking at various coast to coast routes and just looking to get a bit of feedback from people that have already done it. At the moment looking at Seascale to Whitby. Please see link

http://my.viewranger.com/route/details/MTA3Mjcz

Has anyone done this route and was the surface suitable for road bikes, any issues with the route and any recommendations for B and B's etc? We're looking to do the route over three days.
    I realise this is a topic that comes up quite a bit, so any help is greatly appreciated

Many thanks
    Gaz
    Poor route choice from Scorton onwards, stay on road to East Cowton - Great Smeaton - Hornby - Appleton Wiske - East Harsley (cyclists teashop@Roots) - Hutton Rudby - Great Broughton. You'll thank me for missing out Osmotherly (unnecessarily hilly with what's to come on NY moors - good luck
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • gaz047
    Hi Bianchimoon and many thanks for the reply. I'll amend the route from Scorton onwards. Just out of interest which route did you take through the Lakes?
    Thanks again Gaz
  • bianchimoon
    Have taken many different routes on a c2c, what I would recommend for quiet roads and scenery is st bees to egremont -ennerdale bridge - loweswater- whinlatter visitor centre (cake stop) Keswick, then use cycleway that runs alongside the a66-threlkeld - matterdale - pooley bridge (tea shop) -Askham lowther Park and onto Kirkby Stephen enjoy
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • gaz047
    That sounds ideal and much appreciated. I'll plot the route later on.
    Thanks again
    Gaz
  • Just one minor correction to bianchimoon above - Roots cafe is at East Cowton not East Harlsey.
  • bianchimoon
    edited February 2018
    duplicate
  • bianchimoon
    Tight Git wrote:
    Just one minor correction to bianchimoon above - Roots cafe is at East Cowton not East Harlsey.
    Apologies, but we're both wrong, It's actually East Rounton, I always get it mixed up with East Harsley, East Cowton is approx 10 miles west (with no tea shops), but does have the Beeswing Inn that serves coffee and food
  • gaz047
    Thankyou both for the info you gave. In the end we did way of the roses coast to coast. Really enjoyed the route, bit of everything, mainly on quiet roads. Also well signed, although had the route plotted on gps just in case.
    The lakes coast to coast is still on the cards though, so thanks again
    Cheers Gaz