Transition smuggler

C0ventrian
C0ventrian Posts: 3
edited January 2018 in MTB buying advice
This bike has come up for sale locally from an acquaintance. I've been offered a test ride, before I go ahead with that I was wondering if anyone can give me an idea of whether the price is right for the build?

Transition smuggler 29er – £1500
Its a custom build running the following
-rock shox pike forks
-rock shox rt3 rear shock
-rock Shox 150mm drop post with the new 1x leaver
-Easton heist wheel set on maxxis tyres
-raceface next carbon bars with stem and grips
-xt brakes with ice Tec discs
-full xt groupset with a 32 front ring and a huge 46 rear

I know there are probably quite a lot of specifics missing, if there are any make or break points, please let me know and I'll ask for those details.

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

Comments

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    If you don't have it then I might. That'll tell you everything you need to know.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Nice bike, but you can buy a brand new one for £1800
  • I'm not familiar enough with all the components. Do you know if this 'custom build' I've described makes it better than the one I can buy new?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    JGTR wrote:
    Yes but the entry level (£1800-1900) is Yari forks, RT shock, NX gearing, 11-42 cassette, DB5 brakes and WTB rims the spec list there is going to cost at least £500 extra (new) so not really a fair comparison. As an indication on the Transition website the NX is $2999 and the X01 $4999 via the GX at a predictable $3999.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    The Rookie wrote:
    JGTR wrote:
    Yes but the entry level (£1800-1900) is Yari forks, RT shock, NX gearing, 11-42 cassette, DB5 brakes and WTB rims the spec list there is going to cost at least £500 extra (new) so not really a fair comparison. As an indication on the Transition website the NX is $2999 and the X01 $4999 via the GX at a predictable $3999.

But it’s brand new with warranty so it’s a consideration. By the time you’ve serviced the shocks, taken into consideration wear and tear the brand new option may be a better buy.
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    JGTR wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:
    JGTR wrote:

But it’s brand new with warranty so it’s a consideration. By the time you’ve serviced the shocks, taken into consideration wear and tear the brand new option may be a better buy.
    Assuming he wants a medium, otherwise he'll struggle to find one.
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    If you don't have it then I might. That'll tell you everything you need to know.

If it's in good nick,it's a good price with that spec